Free E-Book reader for iPad

Started by sbr, July 19, 2012, 02:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I got the iPad from work so I can't really pay for any apps, or anything else really. 

What I would like to do is to download a free book or two from Project Gutenburg and read it on my iPad, potentially without interent access. 

My Android Phone had a Google Books app that let me do that but I haven't found anything promising in the Apple App store.

Grey Fox

Kindle App? I thought there was one built in in the Ipad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Yeah, kindle app, iBooks app, or stanza would be my goto apps.

HVC

iBook app is free and you have access to the gutenberg books.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

Thanks.

Kindle didn't come installed on this one.  I got the iBooks app and it looks good, I was hesitant to get something that had to go through the official Apple store until I remembered EVERYTHING has to do that on these stupid things. 

They can kiss my ass if they have a problem with me downloading some books to read on their machine.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2012, 03:35:27 PM
Why do you hate Apple?

It's not so much that I hate Apple, I just don't like the way everything is locked down to their own iStores.

I was also never a big fan of the idea of the tablet, but it is slowly growing on me.

Arvoreen

BTW, it shouldn't matter that your iPad was provided by work.  All purchases through iTunes are tied to YOUR iTunes account, not anything related to work.  I have a similar situation.  I have an iPhone & iPad provided through work, plus a few iPod touches that I've bought personally for my family.  All the devices share the same iTunes account, and all have access to any apps/books/music/etc.

sbr

Quote from: Arvoreen on July 23, 2012, 03:51:59 PM
BTW, it shouldn't matter that your iPad was provided by work.  All purchases through iTunes are tied to YOUR iTunes account, not anything related to work.  I have a similar situation.  I have an iPhone & iPad provided through work, plus a few iPod touches that I've bought personally for my family.  All the devices share the same iTunes account, and all have access to any apps/books/music/etc.

The iTunes account is not mine, it is one that work set up for the iPad in order to buy and install at least on app on the machine. 

I assume there is some way to sign out of that account and sign back in with my own? 

Arvoreen

There is a way to log out of 1 iTunes account and into another.  However, that will also wipe all the stuff off your iPad. :(  My company did it differently, and just had me register my existing apple id with them, so I could be enabled to access the internal apps we have developed.