5 Things to Know About the First Drug to Prevent HIV

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Good Lord, Libertarians can be so fucking condescending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2012, 12:48:47 PM

Seedy sounded pretty condescending when he spoke about how he knows best. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2012, 12:43:36 PM
That being said, I'm inclined to agree with garbon and you on this subject. I don't think it's the government's right to decide for me how I am tested.
Why not jump on the anti-vaccination bandwagon while you're listening to your body?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
Not especially.  CdM was arguing an issue of public policy, and then Berkut came along and made it an argument over religious principles along lines of 'freedom' and 'liberty', which only he and his libertarian priesthood can interpret correctly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2012, 01:11:43 PM
Not especially.  CdM was arguing an issue of public policy, and then Berkut came along and made it an argument over religious principles along lines of 'freedom' and 'liberty', which only he and his libertarian priesthood can interpret correctly.

Yes he was making an issue of public policy with the assumption that he knows better than all of his imagined/hypothetical people. It then turned out that we already have at-home testing and it doesn't seem to be a public policy issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2012, 01:08:23 PM
That being said, I'm inclined to agree with garbon and you on this subject. I don't think it's the government's right to decide for me how I am tested.
Why not jump on the anti-vaccination bandwagon while you're listening to your body?

Because some vaccinations have value. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2012, 01:08:23 PM

Because some vaccinations have value. :)

:yeahright:

Only some?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2012, 01:33:13 PM

Only some?

Okay, they all have value in some fashion. But I don't happen to believe that they all have the same value. Some vaccines are necessary; some are just nice to have.

I'm pretty sure I've made it clear in the past that this is my stance on this.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 01:14:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2012, 01:11:43 PM

Yes he was making an issue of public policy with the assumption that he knows better than all of his imagined/hypothetical people. It then turned out that we already have at-home testing and it doesn't seem to be a public policy issue.

And Berkut outright tells use that he knows better then most people what liberty means and that he knows better then CdM.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2012, 01:45:52 PM
And Berkut outright tells use that he knows better then most people what liberty means and that he knows better then CdM.

Okay, so they were both condescending. Yippee?

Fate

Quote from: stjaba on July 23, 2012, 11:55:18 AM
To the libertarians in the thread:

Accuotane can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. The FDA mandates usage of birth control if women of child bearing age wish to use it. If pregnant, women cannot be prescribed Accuotane. Women are also subjected to mandatory pregnancy tests while using Accuotane.(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPLEDGE for more details).

Are these requirements justifiable or are they also invasions of privacy/liberty?
It's a pretty retarded system. There is zero reason to limit accutane access to people who can't physically get pregnant, be they genetically XY or XX with amenorrhea.

But it's a voluntary system. You don't have to use the drug. Failure to treat acne doesn't result in death. I don't think you can really compare it to HIV medications.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2012, 01:36:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2012, 01:33:13 PM

Only some?

Okay, they all have value in some fashion. But I don't happen to believe that they all have the same value. Some vaccines are necessary; some are just nice to have.

I'm pretty sure I've made it clear in the past that this is my stance on this.

Not sure what that distinction means.  After all, certainly not everyone "needs" a chicken pox vaccine as a life or death type issue but some people do.  Not sure that means a chicken pox has less value than a vaccine for something like HIV which occurs less frequently.

Valmy

I guess if Berkut is one I am as well.  It is what we use to mask our rage at the system.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 02:04:02 PM
Not sure what that distinction means.  After all, certainly not everyone "needs" a chicken pox vaccine as a life or death type issue but some people do.  Not sure that means a chicken pox has less value than a vaccine for something like HIV which occurs less frequently.

I'd say the chickenpox vaccine has quite a bit less value than an HIV vaccine. Without the chickenpox vaccine, you get an uncomfortable rash and low-grade fever for two weeks. Without the HIV vaccine, you die.

Seems fairly simple which one is more valuable to society at large.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2012, 02:06:25 PM
I'd say the chickenpox vaccine has quite a bit less value than an HIV vaccine. Without the chickenpox vaccine, you get an uncomfortable rash and low-grade fever for two weeks. Without the HIV vaccine, you die.

But that isn't true. There are people who die of smallpox and there are lots of people in the west who have HIV and don't die because of it.