5 Things to Know About the First Drug to Prevent HIV

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2012, 11:54:45 PM
It exactly argues against your claim that by denying people the right to test themselves, we can control some minorities stupidity.

First HIV people, now minorities.  When will your hate end?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

My brain's fine.  Enjoy your HIV tests with liberty and justice for all, faggot.

Berkut

Freedom and liberty to Seedy and his ilk is just a punch line. It's rather sad really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2012, 07:56:03 AM
My brain's fine.  Enjoy your HIV tests with liberty and justice for all, faggot.

Sure. I'm sure we'll all continue to be fine given that you've shown no evidence of a problem. And your own article showed that treatment among vulnerable groups has improved radically since 2001. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2012, 10:40:59 PM

Because the uninsured are likely to be seeking out a $60 at home kit? Also, why would someone want to test themselves for HIV - if they didn't plan to do anything about it?

Uninsured doesn't mean destitute. Until last year, it meant sick. Now, those people are able to finally get insurance, but may not know how to do so. Just because they can't pay for coverage doesn't mean that they don't care about what's wrong with them. And while most can eventually figure out how to get care, going through a clinic might mean finding out sooner how to do so.

I don't agree with Seedy. I'm simply saying that there are advantages to having a conversation with a counselour sooner rather than later once you find out you have HIV.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2012, 11:17:22 AM
Uninsured doesn't mean destitute. Until last year, it meant sick. Now, those people are able to finally get insurance, but may not know how to do so. Just because they can't pay for coverage doesn't mean that they don't care about what's wrong with them. And while most can eventually figure out how to get care, going through a clinic might mean finding out sooner how to do so.

Maybe. Still I wonder how many of these individuals would actually be (are actually) purchasing at home tests vs visiting clinic.

I don't agree with Seedy. I'm simply saying that there are advantages to having a conversation with a counselour sooner rather than later once you find out you have HIV.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with that. :)

stjaba

To the libertarians in the thread:

Accuotane can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. The FDA mandates usage of birth control if women of child bearing age wish to use it. If pregnant, women cannot be prescribed Accuotane. Women are also subjected to mandatory pregnancy tests while using Accuotane.(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPLEDGE for more details).

Are these requirements justifiable or are they also invasions of privacy/liberty?

garbon

dps

Uninsured doesn't mean destitute. 

I don't have health insurance, and frankly I don't want it.  I just pay my doctor's bill out-of-pocket.  Even 20-some years ago, when health insurance was relatively affordable compared to what it is now, I was paying more a year in health insurance premiums than I would have paid in health care expenses if I had paid everything out of pocket.  I finally got fed up with that, and cancelled my health insurance a couple of years ago.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 23, 2012, 12:34:15 PM
I don't have health insurance, and frankly I don't want it.  I just pay my doctor's bill out-of-pocket.  Even 20-some years ago, when health insurance was relatively affordable compared to what it is now, I was paying more a year in health insurance premiums than I would have paid in health care expenses if I had paid everything out of pocket.  I finally got fed up with that, and cancelled my health insurance a couple of years ago.

*smh*

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2012, 10:40:59 PM

Because the uninsured are likely to be seeking out a $60 at home kit? Also, why would someone want to test themselves for HIV - if they didn't plan to do anything about it?

I don't think there is any question that is the case. In fact, if I had reason to want an HIV test, I think I would go to a clinic or my doctor rather than get one at home.

But that isn't the question - the question is whether or not it should be available for the individual to make that choice themselves.

The argument of the form "The individual should not have that choice because I don't think some individuals will make the right choice" is rather excellent evidence that the speaker does not understand what freedom and liberty actually mean.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: dps on July 23, 2012, 12:34:15 PM

Why not get at least major illness coverage? It's cheap, and it covers you if you end up needing major medical, like a hospitalization, surgery, or have a serious accident or illness.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2012, 12:39:48 PM
I don't think there is any question that is the case. In fact, if I had reason to want an HIV test, I think I would go to a clinic or my doctor rather than get one at home.

But that isn't the question - the question is whether or not it should be available for the individual to make that choice themselves.

The argument of the form "The individual should not have that choice because I don't think some individuals will make the right choice" is rather excellent evidence that the speaker does not understand what freedom and liberty actually mean.

Or they disagree with your use of the terms. :)

That being said, I'm inclined to agree with garbon and you on this subject. I don't think it's the government's right to decide for me how I am tested.