Bought an iPhone

Started by Sheilbh, July 17, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

You're way too cheap so it is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

More expensive than my old opening purchase for a chick, a 99 dollar silver necklace at the jewlery store in a mall. We'd go there after picking them up at Hot Topic.

There, I did the jailbait joke for you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 06:17:37 PM

How do you know how cheap i am?

garbon

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 06:47:40 PM

You made it sound like you'd marry for an iPad. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 06:52:12 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 06:47:40 PM

You made it sound like you'd marry for an iPad. -_-

Only cause Funk is so dreamy :wub:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

katmai

No shit, the wedding is off!

Ed Anger

I'll keep the toaster oven then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on July 17, 2012, 04:21:09 PMHell I got an offer when I left my old phone company for any Android phone for free if I signed a two year contract.
That's what I've got here.  It's pretty standard in the UK.

Couple of other thoughts are that form and function shouldn't be seen in competition.  I think packaging is a very good example of that.  We know how to contain things, we can make boxes.  I'd like it if instead of just doing that companies put some thought into them in terms of form, but also (to a far lesser extent) other things like sustainability.  Once we've got the function bit, the form aspect of making it easier and nicer should follow.  Too often it doesn't.

Also it makes me think of Ian Leslie's comment on the new CEO of Yahoo! who is a very successful engineer from Google.  People were saying about her 'geek cred' in the market, which is all very well.  He suggested that what Yahoo! needs isn't someone with geek cred but someone who can say 'no' to the geeks and realises that most people don't think like engineers.  Too often I think companies appeal to that without dumbing down sufficiently to make things easy to use for people like me who don't really care and won't spend any time learning how to use my phone.  I think that's the attractiveness of Apple's design.  I've got a few core apps I want to use (and no doubt I'll find more) and I want them to be easy and smooth.

Android's probably do this.  Blackberries do not.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2012, 09:28:28 PM
Also it makes me think of Ian Leslie's comment on the new CEO of Yahoo! who is a very successful engineer from Google.  People were saying about her 'geek cred' in the market, which is all very well.  He suggested that what Yahoo! needs isn't someone with geek cred but someone who can say 'no' to the geeks and realises that most people don't think like engineers.  Too often I think companies appeal to that without dumbing down sufficiently to make things easy to use for people like me who don't really care and won't spend any time learning how to use my phone.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well.  Simple fact is, engineers have a mentality and methodology that does not translate well to marketing.  Or dealing with other human beings that aren't thinking on their plane.

Can't fucking stand dealing with engineers, IT or otherwise.  WHY DONT WE DO THIS AND THIS AND THIS AND OH AND THIS

Tamas

1 - recent iphones look like shiny bricks. If that's your thing, great

2 - please tell me I misunderstood the comments here, that unpacking a product from it's box is part of the experience and should be in the focus of producers. God damn how consumerist BS is that?!!!!!oneoneone
There is global warming and famines and whatever, and your experience is ruined by unexciting packaging?!!!!

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2012, 01:49:44 AM
please tell me I misunderstood the comments here, that unpacking a product from it's box is part of the experience and should be in the focus of producers. God damn how consumerist BS is that?!!!!!oneoneone
There is global warming and famines and whatever, and your experience is ruined by unexciting packaging?!!!!

Well, in the western world things are delivered in other things than old beet bags. I don't know about you gypsies, but for many civilized people the packaging is part of the experience.

For my part I love to unpack new electronic things, no matter if it's a new switch or a new phone. Apples packaging delivers something extra. The packaging in and of itself is not the reason I buy Apple, it is just one, rather unimportant, bonus.