And we're back!

Main Menu

Bought an iPhone

Started by Sheilbh, July 17, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:Embarrass:

MARTY! BBOY! TO ME!

Even the packaging was beautiful and for some reason I signed up for everything it wanted me to :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Welcome to the Didn't Wanna Do It Because I Hate Fucking Hipsters But I Did It Anyway Club.  :lol:

derspiess

Had a laugh when my wife asked me if she could get an iPhone as her next phone (I naturally provision all techology for the family).  I told her absolutely.  Then she excitedly asked me how soon and I told her a year & a half since I got her Galaxy S late last year.  She nearly broke into tears.

She has an iPad, so she'll be able to get by until then :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 03:01:28 PM
Had a laugh when my wife asked me if she could get an iPhone as her next phone (I naturally provision all techology for the family).  I told her absolutely.  Then she excitedly asked me how soon and I told her a year & a half since I got her Galaxy S late last year.  She nearly broke into tears.

She has an iPad, so she'll be able to get by until then :rolleyes:

How many times have you used the "don't cry for me Argentina" line?

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

MARTY! BBOY! TO ME!

Even the packaging was beautiful and for some reason I signed up for everything it wanted me to :Embarrass:

I don't have an iPhone.  Hell even my iPod is 4 years old. :(

I fail at being an Apple whore.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

MARTY! BBOY! TO ME!

Apple. It's not hardware. It's a lifestyle.  :ph34r:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 17, 2012, 03:14:22 PM

MARTY! BBOY! TO ME!

Apple. It's not hardware. It's a lifestyle.  :ph34r:

Except it really isn't.

Apple is just a company that makes really great consumer electronics.  But that's it.

Martinus

But I fully empathize with Sheilbh esthetic impression of Apple products. It's so much unlike most other stuff out there.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 03:05:45 PM
How many times have you used the "don't cry for me Argentina" line?

Me?  None.  Everyone we know?  probably at least ten times each.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on July 17, 2012, 03:21:30 PM
But I fully empathize with Sheilbh esthetic impression of Apple products. It's so much unlike most other stuff out there.

yeah right.

I have an ipad (3). I have bought it because when it comes to tablets, it looked to have the best hardware, and the best application coverage on the stuff that matters (boardgame conversions :P )

But an iphone? I mean, the iOS is nice enough but it is like Android made with a braindead monkey in mind as target customer. That has some plus points, and some minus points. And I don't care if Android copied the iOS. The point is that with an iphone you are not buying anything you couldnt buy for half, apart from the logo.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on July 17, 2012, 03:21:30 PM

It used to be a world apart.  Nowadays a lot of competitors have caught up on everything except for maybe the Macbook Air.  A buddy of mine got the new one a couple weeks ago & showed it to me.  Pretty slick.  No fans and it boots up in like 5 seconds. 

garbon

I thought about it and then decided no thanks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
But an iphone? I mean, the iOS is nice enough but it is like Android made with a braindead monkey in mind as target customer. That has some plus points, and some minus points. And I don't care if Android copied the iOS. The point is that with an iphone you are not buying anything you couldnt buy for half, apart from the logo.

:huh:

Putting Macs aside, and looking just at iPhone - you're completely wrong.  In fact there are numerous articles out there saying that because Apple used its enormous cash supplies several years ago, and the enormous quantities they buy in, they get their components (especialy the tricky stuff like touchscreens and batteries) at significant discounts to everyone else.

You can not in fact get the equivalent to an iPhone 4s at half the price.  Yes, you can buy various Android phones at half the price - but they won't have all of the hardware features.

And yes - nobody cares about aesthetics, in particular the aesthetics of packaging, like Apple does.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2012, 03:37:49 PM

:huh:

Putting Macs aside, and looking just at iPhone - you're completely wrong.  In fact there are numerous articles out there saying that because Apple used its enormous cash supplies several years ago, and the enormous quantities they buy in, they get their components (especialy the tricky stuff like touchscreens and batteries) at significant discounts to everyone else.

You can not in fact get the equivalent to an iPhone 4s at half the price.  Yes, you can buy various Android phones at half the price - but they won't have all of the hardware features.

And yes - nobody cares about aesthetics, in particular the aesthetics of packaging, like Apple does.

Triumph of form over function, the medium becomes the message etc ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 03:59:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 03:44:53 PM

Triumph of form over function, the medium becomes the message etc ? 

It also depends on if you like the aesthetics they are pushing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.