Study finds little evidence supporting medical marijuana for treatment of...

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 12:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 01:03:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 12:51:57 PM
It would be a bit easier for me to take medical marijuana more seriously if the packaging were less jovial and more mediciney-looking.

That's nice and irrelevant. :)

You answered me!   :blush:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 01:15:52 PM
:bleeding:

Should I trust medical professionals in California or a lawyer in Alberta? :hmm:

What you should trust is a full medical study that tracks the effectiveness of marijuana as a treatment for anxiety and depression.  Until and unless that is done I would think using marijuana to treat psychiatric problems would be extremely dangerous.

I've been googling, and all I can find on the pro side are a bunch of anecdotes and theories.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 12:20:02 PM
:rolleyes:

Don't you roll your eyes at me.  I didn't say "cause", I said "increased rates".

That's because it's not a solution to the problem, it simply masks it.  That's what the brochure that Marilyn Manson gave me said.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 01:15:52 PM
:bleeding:

Should I trust medical professionals in California or a lawyer in Alberta? :hmm:

What you should trust is a full medical study that tracks the effectiveness of marijuana as a treatment for anxiety and depression.  Until and unless that is done I would think using marijuana to treat psychiatric problems would be extremely dangerous.

I've been googling, and all I can find on the pro side are a bunch of anecdotes and theories.

And I forgot about the OP. :frusty:

Which is, of course, a study which says pot is NOT an effective treatment for those disorders.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 01:39:14 PM
And I forgot about the OP. :frusty:

Which is, of course, a study which says pot is NOT an effective treatment for those disorders.

Actually its more like a meta-analysis that said the few studies they reviewed didn't show that MJ benefits outweighed risk.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 12:18:35 PM
Marijuana as a treatment for depression and anxiety?  :frusty:

Studies have shown increased rates of those disorders amongst marijuana users.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

QuoteHowever, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Don't you roll your eyes at me.  I didn't say "cause", I said "increased rates".

By that logic, those taking anti-depression medication show "increased rates" of depression as well, since more people taking anti-depression medication have depression than those who do not.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2012, 01:24:33 PM

I don't blame you for feeling that way - his point pretty much destroys yours.

I don't have a dog in the medical marijuana fight.  I want to see MJ legalized so that law enforcement and criminal justice resources can be better deployed against things that matter.

That sounds like a dog in the fight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The article in the OP seems to be saying that there is no reliable evidence of benefits because performing adequate scientific studies is legally difficult or impossible.

Myself, I always thought the medical pot thing was more intended as a legalization strategy than a serious concern.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 02:55:39 PM
By that logic, those taking anti-depression medication show "increased rates" of depression as well, since more people taking anti-depression medication have depression than those who do not.  :D

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 02:55:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 12:18:35 PM
Marijuana as a treatment for depression and anxiety?  :frusty:

Studies have shown increased rates of those disorders amongst marijuana users.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

QuoteHowever, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

By that logic, being a prosecutor in Alberta increases your chances of being boring and square.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 03:00:35 PM
The article in the OP seems to be saying that there is no reliable evidence of benefits because performing adequate scientific studies is legally difficult or impossible.

Myself, I always thought the medical pot thing was more intended as a legalization strategy than a serious concern.

Yes I've seen that.

Also the whole 'Sacred Weed' mantra has gotten real old, I take if more seriously if the people who were advocating it, didn't just jump-cut to any old shit piece of cardboard to make the filter for their joint; perhaps they should look into the printing inks and chemicals used in making the cardboard product ? 

Would the whole spiritual event them be so purifying ? 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 04:05:51 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 03:00:35 PM

Yes I've seen that.

Also the whole 'Sacred Weed' mantra has gotten real old, I take if more seriously if the people who were advocating it, didn't just jump-cut to any old shit piece of cardboard to make the filter for their joint; perhaps they should look into the printing inks and chemicals used in making the cardboard product ? 

:huh:

What's that?

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 04:05:51 PM
Yes I've seen that.

:huh:

What's that? 

I think Mongers is just posting in the wrong thread.  Apparently there is some thread (maybe on his occupy web site) about some British "Sacred Weed' mantra, and he just mistakenly posted here instead.

Either that, or he is just clueless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps