News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BBC's global fat scale

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 13, 2012, 10:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: stjaba on July 13, 2012, 07:01:09 PM
My BMI is 25, putting me in the 32nd percentile of American men my age, and in the 77th pecentile of men worldwide. Apparently, I'm most like someone from Bulgaria.  <_<

I'm also 25, but I'm older.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2012, 04:25:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2012, 03:49:27 PM
Wow Ed is one skinny guy.  I never would have guessed.

Yeah, surprised about that. I mean I didn't think he was fat, but his BMI is lower than mine.

Fucking a child bride like a bunny and popping out 5 kids burns some calories, man.

katmai

Quote from: Legbiter on July 14, 2012, 03:12:21 AM

My diet advice to the katmais of this world would consist of a very large porterhouse steak cooked in real butter with as much bearnaise sauce (homemade) and coloful salad as they could handle at lunch and dinner with no snacking whatsoever in between. Fat and protein contain actual, vital nutrients as opposed to, say, Pringles. Add in more starch from fruits, tubers and berries once the blubber is off.

Ahem..
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

BMI 23
Lower than 88% of Americans my age in the US, and lower than 60% world wide.

EDIT: Lol, most like someone from Lesotho
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 11:25:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2012, 11:19:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 11:03:01 AM
Ah yes, the old height v weight bullshit.  I'm not falling for that.

Your massive muscles always throwing it off eh?

I'm always amused how they say, at 5'8", I'm supposed to weigh 160 pounds with a 46" chest.  Some things are simply physiologically stupid.
I'm 5'8" and I weigh about 150.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

I'm always amused how they say, at 5'8", I'm supposed to weigh 160 pounds with a 46" chest.  Some things are simply physiologically stupid.

Yes the BMI is so fucking dumb.

I love how Ray Rice & Maurice Jones Drew are sitting at 32bmi :lol:

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 14, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

:frusty:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on July 14, 2012, 05:14:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 14, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

:frusty:

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2012, 04:25:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2012, 03:49:27 PM
Wow Ed is one skinny guy.  I never would have guessed.

Yeah, surprised about that. I mean I didn't think he was fat, but his BMI is lower than mine.
I guess running after all those kids on his lawn, trying to get them into the shotgun range, is good for his physique.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Wow, BMI. :lol: I can't believe people are still falling for that.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

I got a link to the original research and "fat scale" weeks ago. If you actually read what the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine were trying to get over, it was planning for future global food needs based on calorific requirements by country.

QuoteMethods
For each country we used data on body mass index (BMI) and height distribution to estimate
average adult body mass. We calculated total biomass as the product of population size and
average body mass. We estimated the percentage of the population that is overweight
(BMI > 25) and obese (BMI > 30) and the biomass due to overweight and obesity.

Results
In 2005, global adult human biomass was approximately 287 million tonnes, of which 15
million tonnes were due to overweight (BMI > 25), a mass equivalent to that of 242 million
people of average body mass (5% of global human biomass). Biomass due to obesity was 3.5
million tonnes, the mass equivalent of 56 million people of average body mass (1.2% of
human biomass). North America has 6% of the world population but 34% of biomass due to
obesity. Asia has 61% of the world population but 13% of biomass due to obesity. One tonne
of human biomass corresponds to approximately 12 adults in North America and 17 adults in
Asia. If all countries had the BMI distribution of the USA, the increase in human biomass of
58 million tonnes would be equivalent in mass to an extra 935 million people of average body
mass, and have energy requirements equivalent to that of 473 million adults.

Conclusions
Increasing population fatness could have the same implications for world food energy
demands as an extra half a billion people living on the earth

Bloody media needs more proper science journalists  <_<

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2012, 12:28:11 PM
I got a link to the original research and "fat scale" weeks ago. If you actually read what the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine were trying to get over, it was planning for future global food needs based on calorific requirements by country.

Bloody media needs more proper science journalists  <_<

I don't know it seems a rather long  winded and somewhat 'academic' way of going about this.

All the figures are already out there, the UN FAO produce food production and consumption statistics by country every year.

The 'global' problem seems to be one of waste, distribution and nutrients balance with in my opinion, the issue of obesity coming lower down.

Or is this in part another attempt by healthy euro academics to portray the problem as one of Fatty USains 'consuming' the planet.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

Your numbers
Obesity Index

27bmi
BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is National

Below average
You have a lower BMI than 67% of males aged 30-44 in your country Global

Above average
You have a higher BMI than 71% of males aged 30-44 in the world

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."