News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York micro-appartments

Started by viper37, July 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2012, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
I don't get it. Are we really running out of land so badly as a civilization that we're forced to cram people into egg cartons like this? It just seems skewed to me.

And make them pay a hundred thousand Pounds for it too...

In certain areas, its either that or force people to live in large homes, but cram them into even smaller egg cartons for very lengthy commutes.

Or businesses could just spread out a bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2012, 07:39:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2012, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
I don't get it. Are we really running out of land so badly as a civilization that we're forced to cram people into egg cartons like this? It just seems skewed to me.

And make them pay a hundred thousand Pounds for it too...

In certain areas, its either that or force people to live in large homes, but cram them into even smaller egg cartons for very lengthy commutes.

Or businesses could just spread out a bit.

Lots of businesses need to be close to suppliers or customers though.

My office pretty much has to be located directly beside the courthouse, for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Studio flats in my block about that size currently retail for $250,000. I at least have a couple of proper bedrooms  :bowler:

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 09:20:01 AM
Lots of businesses need to be close to suppliers or customers though.

My office pretty much has to be located directly beside the courthouse, for example.

I'm not sure that the US or Canada has many (if any) of the areas that you are talking about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/22/first_look_inside_the_citys_new_mic.php#photo-3

QuoteFirst Look Inside NYC's Tiny New "Micro-Unit" Apartments

The units boast 9'-10" floor-to-ceiling heights and Juliette balconies, and 40 percent of the units will be "affordable beyond the competitive market rents," ranging between $914 a month to $1,873 a month.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Valmy

Those do not look bad at all.  That would have been plenty of space for me when I was single.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

Good to see that it's not just London and SE England that is in the grip of property price lunacy.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 01:26:28 PM
Those do not look bad at all.  That would have been plenty of space for me when I was single.

I hate studios and that's basically what they look like.

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on January 23, 2013, 01:36:30 PM
Good to see that it's not just London and SE England that is in the grip of property price lunacy.

That's a bit like the mentally ill seeking solace in each others company.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 01:38:49 PM

I lived in a studio, and I definitely like one bedroom apartment much better.  The difference between having a private room and not having it is huge when you have people over.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2013, 01:48:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 01:38:49 PM

I lived in a studio, and I definitely like one bedroom apartment much better.  The difference between having a private room and not having it is huge when you have people over.

Exactly. Everyone is all up in your personal space in a studio. Only good if you want people joining you in your bed.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 02:08:07 PM
Exactly. Everyone is all up in your personal space in a studio. Only good if you want people joining you in your bed.

DG's an actuary. So clearly, that's not an issue.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius