News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York micro-appartments

Started by viper37, July 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

For just under 2k a month? Fuck.

I'll split my house into five of those right now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

The demographic this would appeal to probably can't pay $2000 a month.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2012, 02:46:09 PM
hippies could live at 10 in a space like that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2012, 02:46:09 PM
Not sure about that.  That current demographic is probably paying close to that to share an apartment with one or two roommates.

MadBurgerMaker

That's not so bad.  It's about 30 or 40 square feet smaller than my back living room, which I basically live in right now.  :P

frunk

The "apartment" that I lived in in Manhattan was 100 sq. feet and cost ~$600 a month.  Of course that was almost 13 years ago, so it's probably more expensive now.

HVC

That's like a bachelor condo in Toronto. only set you back to 300,000 :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Looks dreadful especially at 2k!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

300 feet apartments are micro?  Thousands of families in HK have homes far smaller than those. 

Scipio

Quote from: Monoriu on July 11, 2012, 08:29:28 PM
300 feet apartments are micro?  Thousands of families in HK have homes far smaller than those.
And that doesn't count all the room set aside for the ancestors.

Confucius admires the piety of the Great Leapers Froward.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

That's inhumane.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Fun fact--Levittown, which started the post-WWII trend of builing suburban subdivisions in America, originally featured houses that were just 10' X 10'--100 square feet (there were other sizes available).  It was cheap housing for the masses.  Today, though, I doubt that anyone who wasn't homeless would live in a 100 sq ft house if you just gave it to them. 

The house my mom just bought is about 1200 sq ft, and that's considered small nowdays.  I've had apartments that were considerably larger.

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 11, 2012, 08:34:51 PM

That's inhumane.

In the worst cases, whole families share the lower/upper half of a bunker bed, and there are dozens of these beds in a room.  Meaning 50-100 people share a room.  Those aren't cheap either.  Because these places are often located near the city centre and are convenient, they often command rent of US$500 per month or more.  In HK, that's often half the income of a young healthy adult.  Those places are run by the triads so not keeping up with the rent will NOT happen.