And we're back!

Main Menu

New York micro-appartments

Started by viper37, July 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2012, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: dps on July 12, 2012, 10:42:03 AM
OTOH that doesn't mean that the typical person will rent a place when they first move out on their own and stay there for the next 50 years, either.
most people don't stay in the same house for the next 50 year.  Many people I know move every year or two.  Yet, I still consider that "permanent" housing.

I wouldn't consider a shoebox livable permanent housing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

It's funny watching the inhabitants of third-world shitholes act like this is normal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 02:51:19 PM
It's funny watching the inhabitants of third-world shitholes act like this is normal.

Quebec? :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2012, 02:51:55 PM
Well, Quebec is pretty bad, but I was thinking Mono and Marti.  I replied from page 1.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 02:54:37 PM
Well, Quebec is pretty bad, but I was thinking Mono and Marti.  I replied from page 1.

And Paris. And London. And Vienna. All third world places. You idiot.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2012, 05:06:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 02:54:37 PM
And Paris. And London. And Vienna. All third world places. You idiot.
Do we have any Languishites from Paris?

At any rate, those places are inferior to places in North America.  It is known.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2012, 02:37:14 PM
136 sq.ft.   :hmm:

or $1100-1200 per sq.ft.

That's fucking obscene.

I mean, it's cute and all, and I get the whole quaint-and-artisanic chic look and whatnot of Euro apartments, where it's like you're trapped forever in some sort of Audrey Hepburn movie circa 1959, but those prices are just fucking silly.

You people are nuts.

garbon

Only other bit I see is that it is fairly close to the beach...

MadImmortalMan

I don't get it. Are we really running out of land so badly as a civilization that we're forced to cram people into egg cartons like this? It just seems skewed to me.

And make them pay a hundred thousand Pounds for it too...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
I don't get it. Are we really running out of land so badly as a civilization that we're forced to cram people into egg cartons like this? It just seems skewed to me.

In certain areas, its either that or force people to live in large homes, but cram them into even smaller egg cartons for very lengthy commutes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2012, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2012, 03:22:58 PM

In certain areas, its either that or force people to live in large homes, but cram them into even smaller egg cartons for very lengthy commutes.

I don't know. I mean it doesn't even really have to be that way here in NYC.

viper37

nice try, but we didn't act like this is normal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.