News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York micro-appartments

Started by viper37, July 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on July 11, 2012, 08:29:28 PM
300 feet apartments are micro?  Thousands of families in HK have homes far smaller than those.
How can they all breathe in there?

Siege

Don't forget your multipass and to put your hands on the yellow circles.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Capetan Mihali

"Single Resident Occupancy" dwellings are as old as the industrial metropolis (plenty of SRO/welfare hotels left in SF today at least), but I guess it's new for aspiring yuppies to seek them?  Though in the 1910s an aspiring clerk in New York would almost certainly be lodging in a rooming house (the boarding house being mostly antiquated by then.)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

The late 70s and early 80s were a period of incredible reduction in the amount of private SRO rooms available in NYC, as development on the Upper West Side and East Village took place.  It's often overlooked in accounting for the massive rise in homelessness in the 80s.  The welfare hotel as such really only took place after a ton of these buildings had been converted into expensive apartments, and the remaining hotels could be rented at extortionate prices to the city to house e.g. AIDS patients in the late 80s.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

My apartments about that size, but it costs 500k won a month (and the school covers 450k won)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

This is not micro. 300 square feet equals 30 square metres, which is pretty much an acceptable studio flat in bigger European cities for a single person. A bit on the small side but people actually are often happy to live in stuff like that.  :huh:

The flat I live right now in is only about 1/3 bigger than that.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2012, 02:46:09 PM
The demographic this would appeal to probably can't pay $2000 a month.

How so? This is NY. A white shoe law firm starting salary is around $80,000 a year. It's targeted to people like that.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 12:38:07 AM
This is not micro. 300 square feet equals 30 square metres, which is pretty much an acceptable studio flat in bigger European cities for a single person. A bit on the small side but people actually are often happy to live in stuff like that.  :huh:

:nelson:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2012, 12:47:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 12:38:07 AM

:nelson:

If you measure the size as relative to the weight of the occupant, rather than measure it in absolute terms, our dwellings are probably similar.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 12:44:02 AM

How so? This is NY. A white shoe law firm starting salary is around $80,000 a year. It's targeted to people like that.

I'm pretty sure those kinds of apartments are not targetted at white shoe law firm associates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 01:01:53 AM

If you measure the size as relative to the weight of the occupant, rather than measure it in absolute terms, our dwellings are probably similar.

Not really Marti, in most places outside of NYC the smallest apartments are at least double the size of that place.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2012, 01:07:44 AM

Not really Marti, in most places outside of NYC the smallest apartments are at least double the size of that place.

So double the size of the fat joke.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2012, 01:09:48 AM
Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2012, 01:07:44 AM

So double the size of the fat joke.  :P

Considering I live in a place three times  that size it would be triple. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 01:04:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 12:44:02 AM

I'm pretty sure those kinds of apartments are not targetted at white shoe law firm associates.

I was talking about trainees.