News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Early American Accents

Started by Queequeg, July 10, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

How come the media hasn't removed these small, odd southern accents the way it has toned down local accents in the UK?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 08:07:10 PM
Are you talking about the Mid-Atlantic accent (Philly/SE PA, south Jersey, Baltimore)?  I always thought it sounded like a fusion of southern and New York accents.  In western PA it's downright Appalachian IMO.
No, central PA, where it sounds like what I think you're probably referring to as western PA (by which you mean western PA south of Pittsburgh, right?)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on July 10, 2012, 06:25:28 PM

speculation into spoken english has elder forms of english sounding more like modern irish english. But, the best example of how fucking impossible it is to think about this is the story of the danish slur. The reason danes speak as if they were mentally retarded with a potatoe in their mouth in their own language (but manage to do so clearly in other languages) is that centuries ago a fad for speaking with a slur gained favor in france when the king spoke with a slur. This reached fashionable circles in Kopenhagen and became all the rage resulting in the modern unintellegability of spoken danish.

English has hints of this with slurred speech being associated with upper class twits; the "bwian" joke from "The life of brian" is a perfect example of this.

Wow, that sounds really messed up for Danish speaking!   :huh:

dps

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2012, 08:48:25 PM
How come the media hasn't removed these small, odd southern accents the way it has toned down local accents in the UK?

"The media" in this country isn't as monolithic as that in the UK.  You have, what, 8 broadcast TV channels in the UK?  We have hundreds of them in the US.  Sure, most of them fill a lot of their schedules with network or nationally syndicated shows, but they have a lot of locally producted content as well.  Heck, I grew up in a little town of about 5000 people in the middle of nowhere, and we had our own local TV channel (and had had it since 1948, which meant that from 1948-1955, our little dinky town had as many TV channels as the whole UK).  I don't know how many radio broadcast stations you have in the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised if WV alone had more than the entire UK.  And for a long time, radio stations in the US featured more local content than did TV stations (I'm not sure whether or not that is still true).

mongers

Quote from: dps on July 10, 2012, 09:13:09 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2012, 08:48:25 PM

"The media" in this country isn't as monolithic as that in the UK.  You have, what, 8 broadcast TV channels in the UK?  We have hundreds of them in the US.  Sure, most of them fill a lot of their schedules with network or nationally syndicated shows, but they have a lot of locally producted content as well.  Heck, I grew up in a little town of about 5000 people in the middle of nowhere, and we had our own local TV channel (and had had it since 1948, which meant that from 1948-1955, our little dinky town had as many TV channels as the whole UK).  I don't know how many radio broadcast stations you have in the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised if WV alone had more than the entire UK.  And for a long time, radio stations in the US featured more local content than did TV stations (I'm not sure whether or not that is still true).

It's probably nearer 60-70 TV channels.

And around 30 radio stations, excluding local and regional stations.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
No, central PA, where it sounds like what I think you're probably referring to as western PA (by which you mean western PA south of Pittsburgh, right?)

Pretty much, yeah. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on July 10, 2012, 09:11:07 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 10, 2012, 06:25:28 PM

speculation into spoken english has elder forms of english sounding more like modern irish english. But, the best example of how fucking impossible it is to think about this is the story of the danish slur. The reason danes speak as if they were mentally retarded with a potatoe in their mouth in their own language (but manage to do so clearly in other languages) is that centuries ago a fad for speaking with a slur gained favor in france when the king spoke with a slur. This reached fashionable circles in Kopenhagen and became all the rage resulting in the modern unintellegability of spoken danish.

English has hints of this with slurred speech being associated with upper class twits; the "bwian" joke from "The life of brian" is a perfect example of this.

Wow, that sounds really messed up for Danish speaking!   :huh:

How Norwegians view the Danish Language, which is virtually identical in written form; but unintelligible when spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2012, 07:04:18 PM
I hate the often repeated line that American is closer to old English than British is. That is just wrong.
American is probally closer to the English of a few hundred years ago than RP (a creation of modern times) but no way is it closer than other British dialects. It is recognised for instance that Bede makes more sense read with a modern northern accent than a standard English one.
The dialects of Britain largely have their basis way back in the dark ages.
American (and Australian and others)...is some weird evolution of them all splodged together.

Since British Dialects vary widely how can you say this?  Anyway, what is typically said is that American English is closer to Elizabethan English in tone and sound then modern London English.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2012, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2012, 07:04:18 PM
I hate the often repeated line that American is closer to old English than British is. That is just wrong.
American is probally closer to the English of a few hundred years ago than RP (a creation of modern times) but no way is it closer than other British dialects. It is recognised for instance that Bede makes more sense read with a modern northern accent than a standard English one.
The dialects of Britain largely have their basis way back in the dark ages.
American (and Australian and others)...is some weird evolution of them all splodged together.

Since British Dialects vary widely how can you say this?  Anyway, what is typically said is that American English is closer to Elizabethan English in tone and sound then modern London English.

I thought we (and some American dialects more than others) just kept a lot of words that fell into disuse in Britain.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 08:07:10 PM
Are you talking about the Mid-Atlantic accent (Philly/SE PA, south Jersey, Baltimore)?  I always thought it sounded like a fusion of southern and New York accents.  In western PA it's downright Appalachian IMO.
I spent occasional stays for three years in Gettysburg, and the locals did indeed sound different.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on July 11, 2012, 12:48:00 AM
I spent occasional stays for three years in Gettysburg, and the locals did indeed sound different.

They would always say 'four score' instead of eighty for example.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2012, 12:51:33 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 11, 2012, 12:48:00 AM

They would always say 'four score' instead of eighty for example.

The fucking danes say "fjers" rather than the logical "åtti". But the annoying thing about "four score and ten" is that the fucking danes use "halv fems" for that.

Don't get me started on danish number ffs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Wouldn't there be some influence from immigrants from non-English-speaking countries?

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 10, 2012, 05:19:20 PM
American accents were similar to the British accents of the time, however American accents have changed significantly less then the British since then.

Americans talk more like 18th century Brits, than Brits?  :hmm:

That's not so weird. Modern Silesians talk more like 14th century Poles, than Poles.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2012, 10:02:06 PM

Because they used to vary even wider still?
██████
██████
██████