As murder rate climbs, Chicago mayor makes ‘values’ appeal

Started by garbon, July 10, 2012, 02:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/murder-rate-climbs-chicago-mayor-makes-values-appeal-161727694.html

QuoteChicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has a warning for gangs: Stay away from our kids.

Emanuel--formerly President Barack Obama's White House chief of staff and a Chicago-area congressman--is asking that even gang members show some regard for innocent children, and take their brawls "away to the alley."

Since coming into office 13 months ago, Emanuel has been shouldered with a soaring murder rate. As crime overall has dropped in the city and across the nation, Chicago already has had 275 murders this year, according to CBS News.

That's a staggering number, though still off pace to break the single-year homicide record of 970.

To combat the escalating murder rate, Emanuel's moved more than 1,000 police officers from behind desks to the streets and beefed up patrols on weekends, when much of the violence occurs, according to the Guardian.

However, a look at the headlines at the top of ChicagoTribune.com this morning—"Clerk hurt when masked men armed with knife rob store," "8 hurt in series of city shootings" and "Man acquitted of murder last year gunned down—make a pretty compelling statement: The Second City is still a violent place.

Emanuel puts the blame for the city's recent eruption of violence on gangs. The city has adjusted its strategy to focus on gang violence, he told CBS News. Certain liquor stores and communities where gangs congregate have been closed, and abandoned buildings have been boarded up or torn down.

He's also making an appeal to gang members.

When questioned about the death of 7-year-old Heaven Sutton, who was caught in the crossfire of rival gang members as she sold candy in front of her home in June,  Emanuel commented, "It's not about crime, it's about values." He was pressed to clarify the comment.

His response:
"We've got two gang-bangers, one standing next to a kid. Get away from that kid. Take your stuff away to the alley. Don't touch the children of the city of Chicago. Don't get near them. And it is about values. ... And I don't buy this case where people say they don't have values. They do have values. They have the wrong values. Don't come near the kids—don't touch them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

If the mayor is serious, he should force Chicago public schools to incorporate ethics and inner values education into their daily curriculum and hiring practices.

derspiess

I'm sure Rahm's words will be effective :D

I'm not a big fan of Chicago.  I'm usually able to get by in a city without anyone attempting to hustle me (the pissed off look I have on my face tends to do the trick), but in Chicago it's like I have a huge target on my back.  No, I do not want to buy your cd, no matter how "dope" or "gangsta" it is.  And no, I will not follow you into the alleyway to see whatever it is you say you have for sale.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Where are you going in Chicago? I don't remember having any problem when I lived there for a summer - except when I went to the southside... 

People try to hawk cds in many of the major cities I've been to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2012, 03:37:41 PM
Where are you going in Chicago? I don't remember having any problem when I lived there for a summer - except when I went to the southside... 

The friggin' Theater District.  I actually had no problems whatsoever in the south side, though I've only gone there for White Sox games.

QuotePeople try to hawk cds in many of the major cities I've been to.

You mean from tables on the sidewalk, right?  Yeah, I see that all over as well.  But in Chicago I've had dudes walk up to me and try to sell me cds.  I told one of them unless he had ska or rockabilly, he needed to try someone else.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 03:46:13 PM
The friggin' Theater District.

Oh I actually never walked over there while I was in town.

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 03:46:13 PM
You mean from tables on the sidewalk, right?  Yeah, I see that all over as well.  But in Chicago I've had dudes walk up to me and try to sell me cds.  I told one of them unless he had ska or rockabilly, he needed to try someone else.

Nope, I mean street corners. Certainly have had people come up to me with CDs in SF, Boston and New York off the top of my head.  Actually I'll admit that once when I was rather drunk I even "donated" a guy 4 dollars. It was the worst rap I'd ever heard and then it turned out that said guy hung around my neighborhood for several months after and would also shout out hello to me. :blush:

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 03:28:23 PM

I'm not a big fan of Chicago, New York, LA, Philly, or any other big fucking city.  I'm usually able to get by in a city without anyone attempting to hustle me (the pissed off look I have on my face tends to do the trick), but in Chicago, New York, LA, Philly, or any other big fucking city it's like I have a huge target on my back.  No, I do not want to buy your cd, no matter how "dope" or "gangsta" it is.  And no, I will not follow you into the alleyway to see whatever it is you say you have for sale.

FYP for accuracy.

garbon

MadImmortalMan

He should get his brother Ari to convince them. Played by Jeremy Piven.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Scipio

The primary values of the Chicago street thug are 'stop snitchin' and 'what the fuck you mean, get a job?'
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2012, 03:28:23 PM

I'm not a big fan of Chicago, New York, LA, Philly, or any other big fucking city.  I'm usually able to get by in a city without anyone attempting to hustle me (the pissed off look I have on my face tends to do the trick), but in Chicago, New York, LA, Philly, or any other big fucking city it's like I have a huge target on my back.  No, I do not want to buy your cd, no matter how "dope" or "gangsta" it is.  And no, I will not follow you into the alleyway to see whatever it is you say you have for sale.

FYP for accuracy.

Negative.  I've never had any such problems in Baltimore, NYC, Philly, Miami, or DC.  People there leave me the fuck alone.  I guess in Baltimore I've had a few homeless guys ask me for money, but that's okay-- Baltimore has the funniest, most entertaining bums.