News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz to build a new PC

Started by Razgovory, July 09, 2012, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Okay, I've scrapped together enough money.  I was thinking about buying a premade one, but I think I can manage to put together a new one.  Probably a bit cheaper.

I predict I'll have about 1200 bucks to spend on it in August.  The old computer will have to go upstairs so my dad can use it (he's using one from 2000), so I'll have to buy almost all new stuff and the 1200 will have to include things like shipping, a new operating system and a new monitor (it doesn't have to be a good monitor).  I always use headphones so sound system won't be a problem.  I'm beginning my research this month.  Several things I don't understand, like how all the processors are rated.  Also don't forget things like a case and power source.

My plan is currently to look at premade computers and then see if I can buy the parts individually (since I know they will work together).

Still suggestions are appreciated. 

Some thoughts:

I want it for gaming

I don't want a laptop

I'd like to learn a bit when I put the damn thing together

Space to upgrade it later on would be appreciated.

Anyone can make suggestions

Will almost certainly be buying the parts from Newegg.

It's not going to be a fucking Mac.

Simply upgrading my old PC does not seem to be an option

To give you an idea this is my current PC: 
Intel Pentium D 3.40 Ghz
Nvdia GeForce 9600
2 Gigs of Ram
250 gigs of memory.
Windows Vista.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Here are the components you need:

1)  CPU
2)  Motherboard
3)  Video card
4)  Hard drive and maybe SSD (not necessary, but very nice to have operating system installed on it)
5)  Case
6)  Power
7)  Optical drive
8)  Monitor
9)  Mouse and keyboard
10) Speakers

Razgovory

What is SSD?  Also I don't need Speakers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2012, 09:50:04 PM
What is SSD?  Also I don't need Speakers.
Solid State Drive.  Ultra-fast hard drive, because it's made of flash rather than plates, motor, and heads.  I installed Windows 8 on my SSD, and now my computer turns on and is ready to use faster than my cell phone.

viper37

1)  CPU
AMD Bulldozer FX-4100  110$

2)  Motherboard
ASUS M5A97  90$

3)  Video card
XFX Radeon HD 6850  125$

4)  Hard drive and maybe SSD (not necessary, but very nice to have operating system installed on it)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB   136$
Forget the SSD with your budget.

5)  Case
Mid tower case   40$

6)  Power
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w   45$

7)  Optical drive
DVD RW    17$

8)  Monitor
21" monitor, about 200$

9)  Mouse and keyboard
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo    95$

TOTAL COST: 858$

Prices from http://us.ncix.com/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I can skimp on the moniter.  I won't be using it.   I haven't found much in the way of Cases under 50 bucks.  Tell me about the MoBo.  Will I be able to add stuff to it later?  What about the SSD can I add that later?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2012, 10:37:07 AM
I can skimp on the moniter.  I won't be using it.   I haven't found much in the way of Cases under 50 bucks.  Tell me about the MoBo.  Will I be able to add stuff to it later?  What about the SSD can I add that later?
You can add SDD later, but the biggest advantage of having an SSD is installing OS on it.  That's the kind of use that maximizes the advantages of SSD, and minimizes its disadvantages.  If you add SSD later, then you'll have to reinstall Windows, which is always painful.

DGuller

I'm not sure SSD is out of Raz's budget.  You can get a 64 GB Crucial SSD for $75.  Considering that SSD gives you an enormous performance edge, probably even more than RAM once you have enough of it, I think it's worth it.  With 64 GB, you have enough space to install Windows and half a dozen games on it easily.

Darth Wagtaros

Has anyone thrown in the cost of a Windows license? Figure on paying for that too.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 10, 2012, 11:36:46 AM
Has anyone thrown in the cost of a Windows license? Figure on paying for that too.
I knew I left something out.  Yes, expect it to be around a $100 for the OEM version.

Razgovory

Grey Fox

if you do not get a CoolerMaster HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

I'm going to come & kneecap your face.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2012, 12:08:57 PM
if you do not get a CoolerMaster HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

I'm going to come & kneecap your face.

Interesting.  I"m thinking I may buy the parts over a period of a couple of months.   I've never built one by myself, so it should be an interesting experience.  Shipping is much cheaper then I thought.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2012, 11:31:56 AM
If you add SSD later, then you'll have to reinstall Windows, which is always painful.
Not true.  I mean, the reinstall part.  You can easily move Windows to your SSD:
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.