News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I caught a tortoise!

Started by Razgovory, July 09, 2012, 07:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I caught a tortoise!  :) I was driving back home from taking my dad to work and I saw the little critter trying to cross the street.  In stark contrast to Zeno's hypothesis, I was quickly able to catch up with him and scoop him up.  Didn't want him to get hit by a car.  I suppose I'll let him go in the back yard later today.  Maybe I'll go to the department of conservation land.  They have quite a bit of forest for tortoises to do... whatever it is they do.  I decided to show the reptile to the cats.  They aren't overly impressed.  I can't tell the gender of the tortoise, so I"m going to call him/her Waxy.  That seems gender neutral.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

A little research shows that it's probably a three toed box turtle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Three-toed_Box_Turtle.jpg

Waxy is a bit more colorful, so he/she is probably older.  Judging from the turtle rings at least 9.  Looks like he/she was had the under carriage all scuffed up.  Maybe got hit by a car.  I think it's a she since the conservation page says that female box turtles have brown eyes.  I think Waxy has brown eyes. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Razgovory

Martinus

Razgovory

At least I didn't go all Psycho on like you did to Eddie Teach last weekend.

Well, hanging with Waxy is cool and all, but I better take him to the Conservation land before it gets to hot.  See you!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Waxy is now living on some department of conservation land.  Reptiles are dumb so he may try to head back to the street across town where I found him, but I did what I could do.

Tamas

derspiess

Had the same thing happen when I was taking the kids to pre-school/day care a few weeks ago.  Little guy was just sitting there in the middle of the road, so I pulled over & picked him up to show Tommy, then put him in the neighbor's yard & pointed him towards the woods.

Did not name him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2012, 09:22:14 AM
Waxy is now living on some department of conservation land.  Reptiles are dumb so he may try to head back to the street across town where I found him, but I did what I could do.

Well, you did interrupt his day.  Was probably cussing you out the whole time, you know how fucking long it took me to get to that road, pal?

I scared the shit out of my mother in the car once;  stopped traffic to jump out and take a turtle across the street.  Fucker was rolling the dice in a 4 lane road with a 5th turn lane in the middle.

Scipio

Box turtles.  They are dumbasses.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Good for you, now tell me when you catch the hare.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2012, 09:22:14 AM

:thumbsup:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"