News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explain this dating thing

Started by Josquius, July 09, 2012, 02:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I was at a pub with some friends yesterday. An event occured which knocked me flat on my arse (metaphorically).
A friend of mine just called over a cuteish bar girl and said he wanted to date her and could he have her number. She gave him it.
Of course this seems to be the easy part. If some random person phones you then...so what? And the whole dance of fakery of a date....that part does not seem pleasant. And then there's the sexism of a guy having to pay for it all- its not that I'm cheap, its the principle which just seems wrong.

As I've said a million times before dating is a thoroughly alien concept to me. Europeans in general tend not do it I believe, people I know back in Europe certainly don't. I only know of it through American TV and it seems to be thoroughly unpleasant.
Nonetheless...it increasingly seems Japan follows the American way of things and I might have no choice but to attempt this dating thing.
So. Explain it to me. Where is American TV right and where does it give an incorrect impression? How does it work to have the initial impulse towards a relationship be based purely on physical attraction?
Just dating - huh?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Isn't "date" (especially in a set up like this) a code word for a quickie?

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2012, 02:53:29 AM
and then there's the sexism of a guy having to pay for it all- its not that I'm cheap, its the principle which just seems wrong.

no, you're just cheap Mr. Candy Man :P

It's not really a difficult concept. On the face of it dating is just planning meetings really. At the start it's formaliac (dinner and a movie, etc). Then as you figure out what each party likes you can start doing different things (parks, museums, bars, whatever). Soon you're in a relationship and you can stop doing all that boring stuff :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Also your comment about "initial impulse towards a relationship be based purely on physical attraction" confuses me. What do you base your initial attraction towards someone on?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 09, 2012, 02:57:34 AM
Isn't "date" (especially in a set up like this) a code word for a quickie?

No.  If both want a quickie then they just leave the bar together.

katmai

You forget Marti is a homosexual. They are led by their wanton lustful impulses.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

You see there is a radioactive Isotope of Carbon that is absorbed in plants (and then eaten by animals), that is ideal for dating.  It's pretty rare, but very stable and decays at a fixed rate.  Scientists use that to date objects that fall within the historical record.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2012, 03:13:39 AM
no, you're just cheap Mr. Candy Man :P

Mr. Candy man? :unsure:

But seriously, it is the principle. The idea that the man has to pay...its really putting the woman on a pedestal and saying the man is the one who wants her from the get go, it should be a mutual thing.  And the potential for women to just go on dates for free stuff looms large. Its just outdated, yet like much positive sexism remains.

QuoteAlso your comment about "initial impulse towards a relationship be based purely on physical attraction" confuses me. What do you base your initial attraction towards someone on?
There has to be some degree of physical attraction of course (or supreme desperation/inebriation) but generally you get to know a fair bit about someone before you get near a planned just the two of you stage.
With a date though it seems to be "Oh, look, pretty girl, hey, whats your number?"
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2012, 06:11:16 AM
With a date though it seems to be "Oh, look, pretty girl, hey, whats your number?"

There are a number of ways to arrive at a date other than asking a pretty girl in a bar for her number.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on July 09, 2012, 03:26:07 AM
You forget Marti is a homosexual. They are led by their wanton lustful impulses.

Fucking fags have it so easy.

Valmy

Ok I do not understand what exactly you are talking about.  In Europe you never spend any one-on-one time with people you want to have sex with?  You never do things together?  You don't interact without your best bud, mother, father, sister, and brother along for the ride?

Quotebut generally you get to know a fair bit about someone before you get near a planned just the two of you stage.

And you are supposed to do this how?  Spying on them?  Dating is this: you get together and talk and see if you connect.

QuoteIts just outdated, yet like much positive sexism remains.

So don't pay then.  Or only do inexpensive things for dates.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I see a thread...in our future...filled with page after page of...wait, it's clearing up now...yes...filled with page after page of "zomg y doan gurls like me waht's it all about whaaa woe is me dating is hard and hurts mah brain" posts.

Gups

I'm English and I don't have a clue what Tyr is on about.

People go on dates everywhere in the western world. They have done for decades. If it helps Tyr "dating" is the same as "going out with".

Iormlund

I (think) I can see where he's coming from. If I'm going out with a girl, chances are I've already shoved my tongue down her throat at a pub and walked away without having my head smashed in with her purse.
That or any other unequivocal sign that this is going somewhere.

I have never experienced the whole 'lets meet this girl I know fuck all about and find out if we're soulmates' thing you see in movies/shows. But I know people who do (mostly older people through online sites).

Brazen

Do it the British way. Get drunk, wake up with a new number on your phone, ask your friends of she was a minger then phone or not as appropriate.