News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pass a British citizenship test?

Started by Martinus, July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM
History questions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test?fb=native

I got 12 right so passed.  :lol:

Probably not, so not even taking it. All I know is we beat the snot out of them in the Revolutionary and War "O" 1812, bailed them out of WW1 and WW2, have bad teeth and eat meat pies. They had cool Kaniggets, though.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 05, 2012, 06:26:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM
History questions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test?fb=native

I got 12 right so passed.  :lol:

Probably not, so not even taking it. All I know is we beat the snot out of them in the Revolutionary and War "O" 1812, bailed them out of WW1 and WW2, have bad teeth and eat meat pies. They had cool Kaniggets, though.

We have a rather large moat, we didn't need you help, we just 'persuaded' you twice to help the empire 'save' Europe.   :bowler:

edit:
oh and the Atlee government conned you into staying on in Europe.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

It was a mistake for the UK to get involved in 1914, should have let the Europeans stew in their own juices.

Habbaku

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2012, 06:42:29 PM
It was a mistake for the UK to get involved in 1914, should have let the Europeans stew in their own juices.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2012, 05:28:56 PM
Yeoman wasn't the right answer, was it?  I thought a yeoman was a free smallholder.

Correct.  A yeoman technically wasn't under the feudal system (nor were artisans, churchmen, and merchants, amongst others).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2012, 06:42:29 PM

"Dense fog in the Channel; Europe is cut off."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Half arsed dash through gave me 11.

Wrong I got-

1 is a bit of a trick question. It doesn't say the island of Great Britain, and GB is a standard short name for the UK.
I was actually expecting a different trick there though, I thought they'd pull the whole Wales isn't actually a reall country deely.

4 I did not know. I assumed it was a gradual thing beginning with the complete take over of Wales

7. Meh. Hair splitting.

8. Canal builders came from Europe in the middle ages? Didn:t know that...huh....

and I have to object to 3. Wasn't it not until Alfred's descendants that the vikings were beat?

11 I guessed right but wasn't the first PM not actually until the early 20th century?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It really doesn't matter Tyr, the test they want to give would only have one question, namely........."Are you a wog?".

This bs test is window-dressing for that truth.

Now maybe we do or do not want lots of people from different backgrounds coming to our country. But it seems criminally obtuse to babble on about multiculturalism year after year and then start bitching that our immigrants are not British enough.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2012, 12:32:15 PM
So you guys qualify as Brits but half the people in Britain probably don't  :hmm:
I think that's overestimating the Brits.

I got 13.

QuoteA better test would be to get applicants to drink several pints of bitter whilst watching a footie match that England lost on penalties, that would prevent at least some of the riff-raff from becoming Britons.
The old test got pilloried by the likes of the Daily Mail for questioning people about how to claim benefits.  But actually the questions were about how to get by in Britain.  So it included things about meter readings, paying the gas bill, applying for jobs, signing up for a doctor and, yes, benefits.  I think it's probably closer to your idea than this weird Govey stuff about national anthems and Magna Carta :mellow:

Not that this is necessarily bad, I'm just not sure it should really matter.

QuoteIt was a mistake for the UK to get involved in 1914, should have let the Europeans stew in their own juices.
No.  Plucky little Belgium needed saving and the Entente Cordiale :wub:  :bowler: :frog:
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

I got 13.

What was with the carpenter question, though, as it seemed ridiculously obscure.  Is that some important part of the national identity unknown to foreigners or something?

viper37

Only 9 correct.  Fuck if I know the British PM stuff. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.