News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pass a British citizenship test?

Started by Martinus, July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2012, 12:32:15 PM
So you guys qualify as Brits but half the people in Britain probably don't  :hmm:

Your history is our history too (at least for the Americans).

One of my favorite stories in this regard is that after the american revolution, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson toured the battlefield of Worcester.

Quote from: wikipediaJohn Adams wrote that he was "deeply moved" but disappointed at the locals' lack of knowledge of the battle, and gave the townspeople an "impromptu lecture":

" The people in the neighborhood appeared so ignorant and careless at Worcester that I was provoked and asked 'And do Englishmen so soon forget the ground where liberty was fought for? Tell your neighbors and your children that this is holy ground, much holier than that on which your churches stand. All England should come in pilgrimage to this hill, once a year. "
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2012, 12:39:20 PM
So you guys qualify as Brits but half the people in Britain probably don't  :hmm:

Your history is our history too (at least for the Americans).

One of my favorite stories in this regard is that after the american revolution, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson toured the battlefield of Worcester.

Quote from: wikipediaJohn Adams wrote that he was "deeply moved" but disappointed at the locals' lack of knowledge of the battle, and gave the townspeople an "impromptu lecture":

" The people in the neighborhood appeared so ignorant and careless at Worcester that I was provoked and asked 'And do Englishmen so soon forget the ground where liberty was fought for? Tell your neighbors and your children that this is holy ground, much holier than that on which your churches stand. All England should come in pilgrimage to this hill, once a year. "

Someone should have pointed out to Mr. Adams that, in spite of losing the battle and having to go into exile, Charles II eventually came back and reigned as king ... so the local indifference to the  significance of this battle makes a certain degree of sense.   :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I am sure if most Americans were given the American citizenship test cold they would not pass it either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2012, 08:51:04 AM
I got 12--there were a few that seemed questionable to be in the test. I got the one about the black plague correct, but given the range of estimates and the inaccuracy involved in the demography of the era, 25% and 33% seem to be within the margin of error of each other.

I missed the GB one, the first prime minister one (was this also iffy--that isn't a formal office, right?), and the carpenter question (which I'm not sure about, either).

In the US for this sort of test, we give the test takers the pool of questions and the answers. I think there are only about 100 in the pool, so you have to be really special to speak english and not pass. Obviously you can just memorize answers without any understanding of government and history. Do they do the same thing in the UK, or is this a real test?

Yeah, crappy test.  I did get 12 though.  I missed 1, 8, and 10 (cause I always mix up James and Charles).  I would have missed 11 had it not been for Viking.  Several others are iffy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

14 of 15 (though guessed on the law in Wales one).  The one I got wrong was the one that laughably asserts that engineers are "skilled workers." 

I hope these aren't really British citizenship questions, because they are really bad questions and, often, worse answer choices.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

It is a silly test, more like a British history pop quiz than anything else. Any money spent on it is wasted money IMO.

A better test would be to get applicants to drink several pints of bitter whilst watching a footie match that England lost on penalties, that would prevent at least some of the riff-raff from becoming Britons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
laughably asserts that engineers are "skilled workers."

I YAM ESSENTIAL VERKER
LULZ A ONE ARMED ENGINEER TWICE AS USELESS

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on July 05, 2012, 12:24:27 PM
Quote from: Brazen on July 05, 2012, 08:43:59 AM
It helps to remember that United Kingdom is short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

:contract:  Which is why the question isn't misleading in the least.

Just to make this clear to Grey Fox, Great Britian is an island.  England, Wales, and Scotland are located on that island (and a few much snaller nearby islands).  Northern Ireland, however, is located on a different, fairly good-sized island.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

13 out of 15, I don't know which I got wrong as my browser didn't display the answers.

edit:
Didn't get the Welsh question, I know it was late, just not that late.

Oh and got the working the land one wrong, though I think it's somewhat vague as yeoman, as in farmers might be another option.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Yeoman wasn't the right answer, was it?  I thought a yeoman was a free smallholder.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2012, 05:28:56 PM
Yeoman wasn't the right answer, was it?  I thought a yeoman was a free smallholder.

It wasn't a good question.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017