News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lower Taxes Not Always Better

Started by Jacob, July 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Turns out that cutting the fire fighting and police budgets means that the response to wild fires is less effective and looting is harder to control.

Surprising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/wildfire-tests-police-force-in-colorado-anti-tax-movement-s-home.html

Jacob

Thank god for federal funding to deal with disaster areas.

Razgovory

Low tax states have always relied on the feds to make up the difference.  It's part of the ideology of rugged individualism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 08:42:24 PM
Low tax states have always relied on the feds to make up the difference.  It's part of the ideology of rugged individualism.

:lol:

Well that and oil :Texas:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 08:42:24 PM

Not "always".  Federal revenue sharing really is a fairly recent development.

Ideologue

Low taxes are never better.  History has taught us this lesson.  Also, Victoria.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

They chose to live in wild fire country.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 02:55:46 AM

Heh, was that Arkestra?  ITS NOT MY FAULT THEY LIVE IN FIRE ALLEY WHY SHOULD INSURANCE COVER THEM

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2012, 10:17:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 02:55:46 AM

Heh, was that Arkestra?  ITS NOT MY FAULT THEY LIVE IN FIRE ALLEY WHY SHOULD INSURANCE COVER THEM

Know your Languish meme.  :rolleyes:

That was Hamilcar.

Martinus

But yeah, they chose to vote for idiots who wanted to cut funding for public services. I have no pity for red states and people who vote Republican. They can all burn.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
Turns out that cutting the fire fighting and police budgets means that the response to wild fires is less effective and looting is harder to control.

Surprising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/wildfire-tests-police-force-in-colorado-anti-tax-movement-s-home.html
That's pretty alarming.  Something needs to be done about this.  How about some tax cuts?

Maximus

Unfortunately the constitution doesn't guarantee the right to bear firefighting equipment. :(

HisMajestyBOB

Tax cuts and deregulation means you can create your own for-profit fire department if you don't want to burn. It's far more efficient than state-run fire fighting.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 10:19:58 AM
But yeah, they chose to vote for idiots who wanted to cut funding for public services. I have no pity for red states and people who vote Republican. They can all burn.

Yeah, governments in Louisiana, Mississippit and Alabama were always the biggest proponents for reducing their own state Emergency Management services and their elected officials sent to DC the most anti-government (read: voting against more money for FEMA, because GUVMINT IS TEH BAD).  Except when their asses get hit by hurricanes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 04, 2012, 10:45:09 AM
Tax cuts and deregulation means you can create your own for-profit fire department if you don't want to burn. It's far more efficient than state-run fire fighting.

Next time they get blasted with a hurricane, oil spill, tornado system or wildfires of biblical proportions, fuck centralized Emergency Management response plans; let the local churches do it with blood drives and bake sales.