News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lower Taxes Not Always Better

Started by Jacob, July 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I guess this means we all agree now that Katrina was the local's fault too? :)

Razgovory

Our local fire department want to change the tax scheme because the fire department is paid by city property tax and 45% of their calls come from outside the city.  So they wish to switch over to a sales tax so some of them will at least pay a little bit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 10:19:58 AM
But yeah, they chose to vote for idiots who wanted to cut funding for public services. I have no pity for red states and people who vote Republican. They can all burn.

But if we find there are 100 Democrat voters should we not save them?
What if there are 50?
10?
If there is one democrat voter should we not save them?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maximus

Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2012, 01:22:32 PM
But if we find there are 100 Democrat voters should we not save them?
What if there are 50?
10?
If there is one democrat voter should we not save them?
:D

MadImmortalMan

The biggest problem we have fighting fires atm is the lack of aircraft. A couple of crashes a while ago got people spooked about the planes and choppers used to drop water and chems on them, and fires in the mountains are often impossible to reach on land.

The feds grounded a large percentage of them. I heard they thought they weren't as effective, they had safety concerns, environmentalist groups were complaining about the chemicals, or it was budget cuts. I don't know which is the real reason, but I could put a probability on it.

The local fire departments and not tasked with taking care of a burning national forest. That's not what they are built for, and there's no realistic budgetary increase they could get that would make up that capacity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Take off and soak it from orbit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
Turns out that cutting the fire fighting and police budgets means that the response to wild fires is less effective and looting is harder to control.

Surprising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/wildfire-tests-police-force-in-colorado-anti-tax-movement-s-home.html
That's pretty alarming.  Something needs to be done about this.  How about some tax cuts?

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
Turns out that cutting the fire fighting and police budgets means that the response to wild fires is less effective and looting is harder to control.

Surprising.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/wildfire-tests-police-force-in-colorado-anti-tax-movement-s-home.html

Not to take issue too much, but...I was recently listening to a speaker that was discussing how the effectiveness of wild fire containment has rather dramatically altered US ecology. It seems that wildfires were much more common before the modern age and forests went through a cycle of burning and regrowth. We've broken the cycle, and the wildlife that thrives now isn't the same as before.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 12:41:31 PM
I guess this means we all agree now that Katrina was the local's fault too? :)

No, just their suffering.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 04, 2012, 03:07:56 PM
The biggest problem we have fighting fires atm is the lack of aircraft. A couple of crashes a while ago got people spooked about the planes and choppers used to drop water and chems on them, and fires in the mountains are often impossible to reach on land.

The feds grounded a large percentage of them. I heard they thought they weren't as effective, they had safety concerns, environmentalist groups were complaining about the chemicals, or it was budget cuts. I don't know which is the real reason, but I could put a probability on it.

The local fire departments and not tasked with taking care of a burning national forest. That's not what they are built for, and there's no realistic budgetary increase they could get that would make up that capacity.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7888.msg439222.html#msg439222