Previous topic - Next topic

Was Shakin Stevens ever "cool"?

He was cool in the 80s.
0 (0%)
He's still cool.
0 (0%)
He was not even in the 80s cool.
9 (81.8%)
He's cooler than Jaron, but then: who isn't?
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Syt

In case you've forgotten who he was:
This ole house
You Drive Me Crazy
Green Door

I was too young during his heyday and think he's a corny Elvis wannabe.

In the 80s my 13 or 14 year old sister would have posters of him, and even a "Starschnitt" from teen magazine BRAVO (they'd release an A4 sized piece every week that would assemble to a life size cutout).

Was he ever that cool? I don't think so.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

His first two songs sound almost exactly alike.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Not cool. Doesn't make him the Pol Pot of music but not cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2009, 06:58:51 AM
Not cool. Doesn't make him the Pol Pot of music but not cool.

This is not about Paul Potts.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Cecil

Eddie Teach

Paul Potts is cool. This guy, not so much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 01:05:58 AM
In case you've forgotten who he was:
This ole house
You Drive Me Crazy
Green Door

I was too young during his heyday and think he's a corny Elvis wannabe.

In the 80s my 13 or 14 year old sister would have posters of him, and even a "Starschnitt" from teen magazine BRAVO (they'd release an A4 sized piece every week that would assemble to a life size cutout).

Was he ever that cool? I don't think so.

I dunno; the name doesn't even ring a bell, but that "Starschnitt" sounds nifty. Great way to keep up subscriptions. :D
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2009, 10:25:17 AM
I dunno; the name doesn't even ring a bell, but that "Starschnitt" sounds nifty. Great way to keep up subscriptions. :D

BRAVO was a staple of German youth culture for decades (dunno how popular they still are). A major selling point were the two pages of "Dr Sommer" where a team of experts would give council on all matters sexual and emotional ("Am I developing too slowly?" "Do I cum too fast?" "Is it too big/small?" "Is it supposed to do that?"). When I was 13 or so they also added a topless poster per issue (though I could as easily go and buy a cheap weekly magazine like "Praline" which had a mix of sensationalist news and sex themes, with softcore illustrations).
—Stephen Jay Gould