News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New terrorist tactic in the making?

Started by Cecil, May 08, 2009, 01:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

I´ll log this under my WTF? folder.  :D

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/world-news/2009/05/07/deodorant-spray-explosion/boy-blows-up-hotel-room-whilst-getting-high.html

A 17-year-old boy blew up his hotel room whilst getting high from deodorant spray fumes.

The teen, called Kevin, is now in hospital with serious injuries after the explosion, which was so strong that it blew out windows and destroyed a wall.
Related news
13-year-old suffers burns in air freshener blast: Boy blows up bathroom - whilst sat on the toilet

He had checked into the hotel in Duisburg, western Germany two weeks beforehand.

An Evangelical church welfare organisation which was looking after Kevin rented a room on the second floor for him.

The manager of the hotel said: "We always thought he smelled very strongly of deodorant. We thought he must just always put a lot on!"

But Kevin hadn't been using the deodorant to smell nice - instead he had been inhaling the fumes to get high.

In the evening, the boy was sniffing the fumes in his room again. Gas had leaked into the whole room. Intoxicated, and unaware he was in danger of blowing himself up, he lit a cigarette.

The fumes in the air ignited, causing a massive explosion. A witness said: "It sounded like a bomb going off!"

Dense smoke spread through the hotel as the blast destroyed the whole room.

The 17-year-old emerged out of the debris wearing just his underwear. Blisters covered his entire body and he was rushed to hospital.

A few hours before the explosion, the boy had tried to steal deodorant cans in a local supermarket. Police found 150 empty cans in his room. He is now under investigation for causing €15,000 worth of damage.

Syt

Saw a report on a dude who did this stunt accidentally with bugspray in France or Holland some years back. His whole face looked like molten cheese.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

:huh:
Sheesh, that is apparently dangerous stuff! I wouldn't have figured it was so explosive.

syk

German kids called Kevin are almost always idiots. Followed by Marvins and Pascals.

Syt

Quote from: syk on May 08, 2009, 02:02:18 PM
German kids called Kevin are almost always idiots. Followed by Marvins and Pascals.

On the female end: Jaqueline (Shuckuhleen), Chantal (Shuntull), Denise
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on May 08, 2009, 01:51:13 PM
Sheesh, that is apparently dangerous stuff! I wouldn't have figured it was so explosive.

Everything is dangerous when dispersed as a dense cloud. Ever blew flour or milk powder into a flame?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

There a fairly graphic "Extremely Flammable" sign on those cans over here, along with several lines of warnings in a dozen languages. Is it not the case there? :unsure:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Iormlund on May 08, 2009, 04:32:07 PM

There a fairly graphic "Extremely Flammable" sign on those cans over here, along with several lines of warnings in a dozen languages. Is it not the case there? :unsure:
Yes, there probably are warnings on the products, but it just really didn't occur to me that someone would be able to release so much of it to cause an explosion that destructive.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 02:08:27 PM
milk powder

:x

Never used it, but I learned that on Mythbusters. They created a huge explosion from it. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

I dunno, over here, that would be Darwin Award-worthy; Amurricans pretty much get it drilled in that "flame + spray can = not good."

Still, watching a friend's drunk neighbor make a flamethrower from a zippo lighter and a can of ether shoot out a second story window while screaming "FIRE!" was immensely entertaining. We figured he'd either blow himself up or the flame would catch on the obviously wooden windowsill.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

QuotePolice found 150 empty cans in his room.

Inhaling deodorant sounds like a hell of a drug.   :thumbsup:

Cecil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 09, 2009, 12:53:32 AM
QuotePolice found 150 empty cans in his room.

Inhaling deodorant sounds like a hell of a drug.   :thumbsup:

:lol:

"Cocain is helluva drug"...