Chris Christie on His Weight: 'If It Were Easy, I'd Already Have It Fixed'

Started by garbon, July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Surely it's easier to maintain the right habits when you have some motivation to do so. I mean, yeah being healthy for it's own sake is good but if you're not getting something out of it other than that it won't have nearly the impact on your desire to follow through.

If you have a goal or reason that provides feedback on at least some level that's a big boost. Like being able to run a marathon, or having your girlfriend think you're sexy, or stopping the back pain you get from sitting in your office chair eight hours a day.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 12:20:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 12:17:10 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2012, 11:08:17 AM
Yeah, I don't see there ever being a time when being accustomed to eating just the right amount of food means one no longer needs self-discipline not to consume a little bit more...

I was talking about physical activity.  If one is active enough the intake side doesnt matter as much.
I don't think that's really true.  The intake side dominates the expenditure side heavily.  You can't burn nearly as many calories by being active as you gain by overeating, unless you're an Olympic swimmer training for London 2012.  It's pretty easy to stay thin as long as you have a healthy relationship towards food (which most American do not for a number of reasons).

I've posted this before to a variety of responses, but I disagree--I've never met an obese person that ran five miles a day (say 25 miles a week, with off days). It isn't just the calories you burn, but also that tub of KFC doesn't look as appetizing when you know you will pay for it the next day.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

More on topic, it does seem like all the fat jokes/comments hurt Christie personally, and he has just been rolling with the punches because he knows that is the best strategy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Caliga

Why wouldn't it?  Most people don't like being made fun of and put down all the time.  I realize a lot of Languish people are social misfits that don't understand that, but normally it'd go without saying. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2012, 04:40:04 PM
Why wouldn't it?  Most people don't like being made fun of and put down all the time.  I realize a lot of Languish people are social misfits that don't understand that, but normally it'd go without saying. :)
:( I'm really sorry about making fun of your eating habits and the locations you prefer to eat out of.  Are we cool? :hug:

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2012, 04:40:04 PM

For a while I was convinced that he had simply made peace with the fact he is obese and jokes didn't bother him anymore.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 04:47:33 PM
:( I'm really sorry about making fun of your eating habits and the locations you prefer to eat out of.  Are we cool? :hug:
:sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Kleves

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
More on topic, it does seem like all the fat jokes/comments hurt Christie personally, and he has just been rolling with the punches because he knows that is the best strategy.
Well, I don't know if it's strategy; rolling might just be the most efficient way to get around for someone like him.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2012, 04:36:14 PM
I've posted this before to a variety of responses, but I disagree--I've never met an obese person that ran five miles a day (say 25 miles a week, with off days). It isn't just the calories you burn, but also that tub of KFC doesn't look as appetizing when you know you will pay for it the next day.

There are plenty of professional athletes who manage to put on extra padding while maintaining training regimens more rigorous than that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Given that the majority of people can't dedicate the time or have the ability to run that much, it's kind of a moot point, don't you think?

As in all things, once the weight is gone, it comes down to moderation. Doing a moderate amount of exercise (AMA recommends 4-5 x a week for 30-60 minutes a day) combined with eating a moderate menu (following the FDA guidelines is a good start) will probably keep most people at a healthy weight. Not all, since there are those who will need more exercise, fewer calories, or some combination thereof in order to maintain since people absorb/process calories at different rates. (100 calories for one may be 110 - or 90 - for another, though the number on the package stays the same.)

Maybe if one is motivated enough to learn how things work for their own body (ie listen to their bodies :P), they'll have the self-discipline to make it all work. Ultimately, though, it comes down to taking the time and energy to figure out what works for you, and then following that plan forever.... Well, forever until some new medical issue comes up that throws it all out of whack and they have to start over.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Kleves on July 04, 2012, 06:10:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
Well, I don't know if it's strategy; rolling might just be the most efficient way to get around for someone like him.
:XD:

Gups

Quote from: merithyn on July 04, 2012, 10:36:07 PM

Given that the majority of people can't dedicate the time or have the ability to run that much, it's kind of a moot point, don't you think?

It only takes 30-45 minutes to run 5 miles. The vast majority of people easily have that much spare time. And most people have teh ability to do it, even if it would take them a month or two before they coudl manage it.

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on July 05, 2012, 07:38:37 AM

It only takes 30-45 minutes to run 5 miles. The vast majority of people easily have that much spare time. And most people have teh ability to do it, even if it would take them a month or two before they coudl manage it.

People seem to have an incredible innate ability to distance run--if they put in the time to do it.

Iormlund

It's not that incredible. We evolved to chase preys, not to sit on a couch all day while we order in.