Chris Christie on His Weight: 'If It Were Easy, I'd Already Have It Fixed'

Started by garbon, July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2012, 12:27:16 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 03, 2012, 04:41:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 04:36:38 PM
According the NYT Sunday Magazine Fat Boy has memorized the lyrics to every Springsteen song ever recorded.

Erection...lost.  :(

I loathe Springsteen.  :mad:

Sometimes I don't get you.
No shit. And he's supposed to be an American.

Probably a fucking Eagles fan, or worse: Crosby Stills & Nash.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2012, 01:25:13 AM
According the NYT Sunday Magazine Fat Boy has memorized the lyrics to every Springsteen song ever recorded.

No shit. And he's supposed to be an American.

Probably a fucking Eagles fan, or worse: Crosby Stills & Nash.

I disavow these comments.

Don Henley is awesome.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Octavian

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2012, 11:01:17 PM
Quote from: Octavian on July 03, 2012, 06:31:35 PM
Well you are not a woman with several kids. That is tougher but not impossible. The formula for doing it is what you write. Eat less and exercise. However finding the motivation for actually doing it is the real challenge.

That's not taking into account hormone levels, insulin-resistance, health concerns, etc. Those things directly affect how much the body holds onto fat and builds muscle, which alters how much less a person has to eat and how much more they have to exercise. It isn't about motivation - but thanks for implying that I'm lazy. Rather, it's about finding the right recipe for each individual person. What works/worked for PDH won't work for everyone, anymore than what works for me will work for everyone.

The human body is far too complex for there to ever be a "simple" solution to anything, and it's ridiculous to assume that what works for one works for all.

Motivation isn't about being lazy. It's about looking for what really drives you. That's something all of us who work out need to do regularly and it's never easy compared to finding the right exercise or diet plan etc. Health concerns can be a great motivator. Sure it makes exercising more difficult perhaps but one will be able to handle that difficulty (finding the right exercise, diet etc) a lot easier with the right motivation (wanting to see your kids grow up, to be able to play with them etc.).

So I wasn't implying you were lazy. I was stating that people have a tendency to not really focus on what matters in order to achieve success when working out. You often hear people complain that they can't loose weight. Well they need to ask themselves why they want to loose weight before even trying.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Octavian

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 03, 2012, 11:19:46 PM
It isn't about motivation

It's mostly about discipline, unfortunately.

Nope it's about motivation. With motivation you'll be able to maintain discipline
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ed Anger

I dislike his politics and I dislike his music. It is all the same. Listen to the River, and you've heard all of Springsteen.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Octavian on July 04, 2012, 05:13:17 AM
Nope it's about motivation. With motivation you'll be able to maintain discipline

Nope. Motivation is great for forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do(exercise), but mostly crap at stopping yourself doing things you do want to do(overeating). Even if you pass up on the slice of cake/bag of chips/second helping/etc now, it's generally still there for you in a couple hours.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

crazy canuck

Quote from: Octavian on July 04, 2012, 05:13:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 03, 2012, 11:19:46 PM
It isn't about motivation

It's mostly about discipline, unfortunately.

As long as it is about motivation or discipline we are probably not going to stick with it.  Physical activity is more about making it part of a daily routine.  So long as it is viewed as something outside the norm - as it is for many of us - then we are stuck with motivation and discipline to get it done.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I don't see there ever being a time when being accustomed to eating just the right amount of food means one no longer needs self-discipline not to consume a little bit more...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2012, 11:08:17 AM
Yeah, I don't see there ever being a time when being accustomed to eating just the right amount of food means one no longer needs self-discipline not to consume a little bit more...

I was talking about physical activity.  If one is active enough the intake side doesnt matter as much.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 12:17:10 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2012, 11:08:17 AM

I was talking about physical activity.  If one is active enough the intake side doesnt matter as much.
I don't think that's really true.  The intake side dominates the expenditure side heavily.  You can't burn nearly as many calories by being active as you gain by overeating, unless you're an Olympic swimmer training for London 2012.  It's pretty easy to stay thin as long as you have a healthy relationship towards food (which most American do not for a number of reasons).