Why did no one try to convert Ireland to Protestantism?

Started by Faeelin, July 03, 2012, 07:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I saw some missionaries today.  They were Mormons.  Silly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on July 03, 2012, 10:48:28 PM
Sheilbh, that is interesting. What book was it you got this from?
Bits are from Austin Woolrych's Britain in Revolution, but mostly from Diarmaid MacCulloch's Reformation.  His select bibliography on the Reformation in Ireland recommends the Protestant Reformation in Ireland by Alan Ford which focuses on the early Stuart Church of Ireland.

One other interesting titbit is that because of the ties with Spain Ireland's one of the only bits of North-Western Europe to avoid witch trials totally.  The Spanish Inquisition tended to downplay the existence of witches, though they thought they were real.  It was probably because they actually had conversos and the like to hunt down.  But because Ireland was officially Protestant she missed both the Inquisition and the witch frenzy that hit England, Scotland, Wales and big chunks of Germany.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2012, 12:03:01 AM
I saw some missionaries today.  They were Mormons.  Silly.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever succeeded or knows anyone who succeeded in seducing them? I sometimes think about it when I see them, as they are young and often quite good looking (in the Mormon, sanitized, dorky way) but then I wonder if it's worth the bother - probably would be a novelty thing though.

Caliga

Why would you want to do that?  You'd probably leave them with serious mental issues, depression, etc. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 05, 2012, 05:43:32 AM
Why would you want to do that?  You'd probably leave them with serious mental issues, depression, etc. :hmm:

Ask Berkut. It doesn't matter. It's all biology and instinct.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 05:49:03 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 05, 2012, 05:43:32 AM

Ask Berkut. It doesn't matter. It's all biology and instinct.
If that was true, we could cure you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.