Why did no one try to convert Ireland to Protestantism?

Started by Faeelin, July 03, 2012, 07:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I recommend reading up, at least a little bit, on the "Old English" in Ireland Faeelin. These were the Anglo-Norman types who started turning up in Ireland back in the 12th century. They were Catholic of course and mostly remained Catholic at the time of the Reformation. Prominent families such as the Fitzgeralds and Butlers are examples. They are an additional complexity in Ireland's affairs that seem to be often forgotten.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 04, 2012, 02:02:43 AM
Henry V married Catherine de Valois. After his early death she had an affair with a Welshman called Owen Tudor, there were several children. Henry VII was her/his grandson, though his claim to the throne was as a great-great-grandson of John of Gaunt of course; via his mother Margaret of Beaufort who married Edmund Tudor (Catherine and Owen's eldest son).

I know that. That does not make the Reformation-era Tudors culturally Welsh (Henry VIII was born near London etc.) and even if they were Welsh, the alleged influence of their Welshness on their treatment of Irish catholicism went completely over my head.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 02:35:16 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 04, 2012, 02:02:43 AM
Henry V married Catherine de Valois. After his early death she had an affair with a Welshman called Owen Tudor, there were several children. Henry VII was her/his grandson, though his claim to the throne was as a great-great-grandson of John of Gaunt of course; via his mother Margaret of Beaufort who married Edmund Tudor (Catherine and Owen's eldest son).

I know that. That does not make the Reformation-era Tudors culturally Welsh (Henry VIII was born near London etc.) and even if they were Welsh, the alleged influence of their Welshness on their treatment of Irish catholicism went completely over my head.

Let me walk you through what happened.

1. Sheilbh says

QuoteDiarmuid MacCulloch, who I've stolen lots of this from, makes an interesting comparison between Ireland and Wales.  Both were historically religiously very conservative.  But there's a Welsh Bible, Book of Common Prayer and Welsh Protestant literature by the 1570s.  There's a Welsh college established in Oxford.  Interestingly the new Protestant class in Wales makes a link between Celtic Christianity and Protestantism, against corrupt Romanism - like continental Protestants see themselves as succeeding the Church Fathers.  Above all, however, Wales remains a province the Tudors are sensitive to and a nation rather than a colony to be exploited.  The consequence is that Wales has one of the most thorough-going Reformations in the British Isles and is probably as devoutly, Low Church Protestant as, say, East Anglia.

2. Yi says
QuoteWeren't the Tudors themselves Welsh?  Surely that must have played a part.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

The Tudors certainly weren't culturally Welsh but definitely had pride in their Welsh routes and were rather big on the whole original Britons thing.
This was more the early tudors and as said became irrelevant later on.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 08:05:00 PM
Weren't the Tudors themselves Welsh?  Surely that must have played a part.

Well William Wallace and Robert the Bruce were Normans but that didn't seem to matter much.  I think Nobles do not really worry about things like their nationality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It may have more in the Tudor times (when Nationalism was starting to get going) then it did in the Norman times.  I'm not sure that having a ancestor who was Welsh really mattered that much though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 04, 2012, 02:41:57 PM
Well William Wallace and Robert the Bruce were Normans but that didn't seem to matter much.  I think Nobles do not really worry about things like their nationality.

William Wallace was Norman?  :huh:

Just thought of a more recent example of intra-Christian proselytizing: Latin American evangelicals.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 06:01:32 PM
William Wallace was Norman?  :huh:

Just thought of a more recent example of intra-Christian proselytizing: Latin American evangelicals.

What do you mean :huh:?

Both William and Wallace are Norman names.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 04, 2012, 07:53:36 PM
What do you mean :huh:?

Both William and Wallace are Norman names.

I mean "golly, whoduthunkit?"  I mean "gee, I'm surprised."

Valmy

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 06:01:32 PM

Also Tim Tebow's family...when you're doing missionary work in the Philippines, you're not exactly targeting pagans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on July 04, 2012, 08:52:18 PM
Also Tim Tebow's family...when you're doing missionary work in the Philippines, you're not exactly targeting pagans.

Unless they were down on the island with the Muslims.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 09:04:37 PM

Wouldn't they be heathens, not pagans?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 09:04:37 PM

At a quick search, at least some of the Baptist missionaries appear to be working in Cebu City, which doesn't seem to be down in the Muslim area.

Maximus

The church I grew up in has missions all over the world, including many christian and post-christian countries.