News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Borg Queen v. The Battlestar Ending

Started by Faeelin, May 08, 2009, 08:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Which was more of a rape the dog moment?

The ending of Battlestar galactica, or the conversion of the Borg into a feudal monarchy?

Every time I see the Borg now, I can only think of the Borg discussing what's the proper fashion this season.

Neil

The Borg Queen, because it ruined something good.  The new Battlestar Galactica was always shit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Borg Queen. ruined one of the coolest scifi villians out there.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

The movie she was in wasn't bad, but it really wacked the Borg, who were a frightening villain. 
PDH!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DontSayBanana

Meh. Borg queen didn't kill the Borg, so much as bad writing did. Alice Krige had a good spin on the character. At the end of First Contact, the Borg would be back; the "queen" just fulfilled a function like the rest. Brannon and Braga should never have been allowed to touch writing for the Borg, though. From "Unimatrix Zero" on, they just shit on the Borg, until they were as laughable as the Kazon were in season one.

I only made it through season one of BSG, so I can't comment on the ending for that.
Experience bij!

garbon

The Borg Queen was great. She's was totally tacky and unnecessary. :wub:

Besides, we've already gone over this.  The only way to keep the Borg frightening would have been to never explain anything about them.  The unveiling of the Borg Queen is very much like the unmasking of the Shadows in Babylon 5.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I liked the Borg as long as they were a force of nature kind of thing. The more demystified and throroughly detailed and "individualized" (esp. in Voyager) the less interesting/menacing they became. The queen was a move in the direction but a tolerable one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 11:24:24 PM
I liked the Borg as long as they were a force of nature kind of thing. The more demystified and throroughly detailed and "individualized" (esp. in Voyager) the less interesting/menacing they became. The queen was a move in the direction but a tolerable one.

You put that a hell of a lot better than I did.
Experience bij!

Delirium

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 08, 2009, 10:31:34 PMBrannon and Braga should never have been allowed to touch writing for the Borg, though. From "Unimatrix Zero" on, they just shit on the Borg, until they were as laughable as the Kazon were in season one.

And?  :huh:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0103804/
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

vinraith

Quite literally no moment I can recall in an entertainment product compares to the level of unadulterated suck that was the end of BSG for me. The Borg Queen is horrible, and destroyed one of the best villains on TNG, but there are two reasons it doesn't remotely compare to the end of BSG:

1) It doesn't retroactively make all of TNG suck.

2) It happened after the run of the show was complete, so it's particularly easy to ignore.

It had a very adverse effect on Voyager, but given how crappy Voyager was who would notice?

DisturbedPervert

Can't answer.  I normally stopped watching an episode of Voyager shortly after the first scene with 7 of 9.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Delirium on May 09, 2009, 01:18:06 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 08, 2009, 10:31:34 PMBrannon and Braga should never have been allowed to touch writing for the Borg, though. From "Unimatrix Zero" on, they just shit on the Borg, until they were as laughable as the Kazon were in season one.

And?  :huh:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0103804/

:blush: Post proofreading epic fail. Busted. Should have read "Berman and Braga."

There was a lot of low-level controversy surrounding accusations that Berman and Braga took a little too much of a "hands-on role" (re: monopolized) in writing sessions for Voyager, to an effect not unlike George Lucas deciding to go it alone for the prequel Star Wars Trilogy. Look down that list and you'll see story credit for both Endgame and Unimatrix Zero.
Experience bij!

Delirium

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 09, 2009, 01:41:19 AM
Can't answer.  I normally stopped watching an episode of Voyager shortly after the first scene with 7 of 9.

^_^
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Grinning_Colossus

I always fanwanked that the whole Hugh deal had more of an effect on the Borg than anyone realized, and led to a partial collapse of Borg society to the point that their abstract gestalt consciousness had to be reified in the form of a single drone.

There's also a line in FC to the effect that the Queen was aboard the (destroyed) Best of Both Worlds cube, which suggests that  she's less of an individual and more a manifestation of the collective consciousness.

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Anyway, the BSG finale was much worse, since it rendered everything after the first mention of the 'Final Five' nonsensical.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?