Calling Languish parents: Why did you decide to have children?

Started by Martinus, July 02, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

:hmm:  Definitely sounds like Marty is having second thoughts about the whole gay thing, and is projecting that self-doubt on others.

CountDeMoney

Valdemar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 08:37:22 AM
You guys always take the bait.

Ofc we do :D Were would the fun be if we couldnt call him out on his own idiosyncrasies and self doubts? :P

V

Grey Fox

Because fuck you that's why.

Life isn't about indulging one self in booze, money & sex.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2012, 08:54:32 AM
Because fuck you that's why.

Life isn't about indulging one self in booze, money & sex.

Don't overcomplicate it. Life is about what you make it be about.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2012, 08:04:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 06:03:42 AM
Indeed. Besides, the way I see it, as thinking and self-aware beings, the onus should be on us to show why we want to bring someone into the world, not the opposite. The Kant's practical imperative is to always treat humanity of others as a goal in itself and never as only a means to reach another goal - so creating a human being for the purpose of not being lonely, or to have someone remember you, or to bring happiness to your life or your relationship, or to secure your retirement is the utmostly selfish and immoral reason because then the kid is just a tool for you to feel better about yourself.

I don't doubt a lot of people have kids for non-selfish reasons though that's why I started this thread. Although I guess now I spilled the beans about my purpose, as I could not leave Tamas's idiocy alone.

I am sorry is your life all about acting selflessly and full of morals?  We usually do not call you out to explain yourself to see just how noble and non-selfish you are.

In any case I did feel an obligation, as an intelligent and able person, to bring kids into the world raised the right way with the right values and society does need a steady flow of children at a modest rate to keep things going.  We are well below this modest rate in alot of the first world so I felt like people needed to step up and fill out the next generation a bit.  I mean do you ever worry how so many of the next generation are being brought into the world by fundies and those in poverty?  Can progress be sustained like that?  That line of thinking made me think this is something I had an imperative to do to the best of my ability.

That seems like a pretty good reason. What I find rather funny/telling is that how passively-aggressive your post is (although if it didn't follow overly aggressive Valdemar's posts, perhaps it would read somewhat differently).

Why is there a need for the first paragraph of your post in particular? Why are you so defensive about a simple request to explain a rather life-changing decision?

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on July 02, 2012, 06:57:12 AM
The funny thing is, I dont question neither his choice of sexuality

Are you saying sexuality is a choice?  :D

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on July 02, 2012, 06:51:38 AM
I didn't know justification was needed?  :rolleyes: Reason, explanation, other words come to mind, but justification?

Uhm, these words are synonyms. Perhaps you are reading more into my question than there is? Again, you are extremely defensive about it which is quite funny. For the record, I don't question your "choice" to be attracted to women either. But surely the decision to have children was not an accident (I hope).

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2012, 08:37:22 AM
You guys always take the bait.

I think they do so in a rather spectacular way. And that's only two enraged parents so far so I'm not lifting the nets yet.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 09:20:12 AM

You choose to engage in homosexual acts just as he chose to become a father. Neither of you could help *wanting* to do so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

What really puzzles me is why Martinus and his ilk (sorry Brazen, you are generally not included in this) feel such a need to to justify their own choice by requiring the ROTW to justify their progeneration of the species :)

I think the decision to do something requires more justification than a decision not to do something. And is certainly more interesting, philosophically speaking. Your implied explanation ("everybody does that") shows you as being rather low on the self-awareness ladder.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2012, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 09:20:12 AM

You choose to engage in homosexual acts just as he chose to become a father. Neither of you could help *wanting* to do so.

Indeed. But he said something about my choice of sexuality, which is something quite different from what you are talking about.

Furthermore, the fact that a lot of people engage in heterosexual acts and do not have children (and a lot of people engage in homosexual acts and want to have children) shows unless you are an animal, a decision to have children is separate from your sexuality.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 09:17:08 AM
Why is there a need for the first paragraph of your post in particular? Why are you so defensive about a simple request to explain a rather life-changing decision?

Because of the first paragraph of your post that I quoted :P That you were demanding I justify the morality of my choice based on the assumption I had done something for selfish reasons, that some sort of onus was on me to make clear my reasons.  Obviously I was not offended enough not to answer but I had to poke fun at you a bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2012, 09:29:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 02, 2012, 09:17:08 AM

Because of the first paragraph of your post that I quoted :P That you were demanding I justify the morality of my choice based on the assumption I had done something for selfish reasons, that some sort of onus was on me to make clear my reasons.  Obviously I was not offended enough not to answer but I had to poke fun at you a bit.

No I did not say that. I said that the "obvious" reasons Tamas mentioned were all selfish and that I hope other people (who actually have children) come up with something better than that.

Also I am not saying that people never commit immoral acts, but many parents seem to believe that their immoral reasons for having children are valid. For example, even if I was guilty of theft, I would probably not go on public record arguing that the good reason for me for taking money from someone else was that I wanted to buy a car. Surely you realize the difference?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2012, 08:04:57 AM
In any case I did feel an obligation, as an intelligent and able person, to bring kids into the world raised the right way with the right values and society does need a steady flow of children at a modest rate to keep things going.  We are well below this modest rate in alot of the first world so I felt like people needed to step up and fill out the next generation a bit.  I mean do you ever worry how so many of the next generation are being brought into the world by fundies and those in poverty?  Can progress be sustained like that?  That line of thinking made me think this is something I had an imperative to do to the best of my ability.

Given over population in general though, maybe we should just pick up little black and brown babies and raise them here?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.