Penn State's Child Rape Cover Up

Started by jimmy olsen, July 01, 2012, 06:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: dps on July 01, 2012, 06:25:11 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 01, 2012, 12:30:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2012, 12:25:00 PM
Death penalty for Sandusky!

And for a whole lot of others. But it won't happen.  Too much money, too many people love college football more than they care about child rapists and those who protect them.

Well, and the fact that the Supreme Court would almost certainly strike down any state law that imposes the death penalty on any crime except murder.

Why? Non-rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on July 01, 2012, 06:28:07 PM

And for a whole lot of others. But it won't happen.  Too much money, too many people love college football more than they care about child rapists and those who protect them.

Well, and the fact that the Supreme Court would almost certainly strike down any state law that imposes the death penalty on any crime except murder.

Why? Non-rhetorical.

Wussification of our legal system by the "evolving standards" doctrine.

Razgovory

Also the crack down on mob violence and lynching.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2012, 06:47:54 PM
That has nothing to do with the justice system. Or it shouldn't. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 01, 2012, 07:20:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2012, 06:47:54 PM
That has nothing to do with the justice system. Or it shouldn't.

But it often did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

As noted in another thread, I disagree.  I don't think you could realistically claim that the actual 8th Amendment is violated by the death penalty for rape, especially when the victim is a child.

If the USSC did, I'd join you in decrying such legislation from the bench.  (When I disagree, it really is judicial activism. :P )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

ulmont

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 12:57:39 AM
As noted in another thread, I disagree.  I don't think you could realistically claim that the actual 8th Amendment is violated by the death penalty for rape, especially when the victim is a child.

If the USSC did, I'd join you in decrying such legislation from the bench.  (When I disagree, it really is judicial activism. :P )

Kennedy v. Louisiana, 2008.

Quote from: SyllabusHeld: The Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death  penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and  was not intended to result, in the victim's death.  Pp. 8–36.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-343.pdf

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: ulmont on July 02, 2012, 07:21:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 12:57:39 AM

Kennedy v. Louisiana, 2008.

Quote from: SyllabusHeld: The Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death  penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and  was not intended to result, in the victim's death.  Pp. 8–36.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-343.pdf

Aw, crap.  How did I miss that?  (Answer: by not looking it up.)

The USSC is fucking stupid.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

I don't think that this issue has anything to do with college football, TBH, other than that some of the principals were employed in college football.

There are probably child rapists in fields other than college football.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 02, 2012, 09:47:50 AM
There are probably child rapists in fields other than college football.

I'm glad you qualified that!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, high school and pee wee football also seem like natural places to find them.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Just need to look at the Boy Scouts and various Churches to see child rapists and those who protect them do not exist exclusively within football.  Although I am not sure whether all of them share a love of college football.

katmai

Who doesn't love college football!

I mean besides neil.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2012, 01:24:33 PM
Just need to look at the Boy Scouts and various Churches to see child rapists and those who protect them do not exist exclusively within football.  Although I am not sure whether all of them share a love of college football.
I think it is safe to assume so.
PDH!