News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare vs Romneycare

Started by viper37, June 28, 2012, 10:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2012, 06:33:15 PM
This stuff is all theater anyway. If Romney were President right now, he'd have passed essentially the same thing as Obamacare and the the dems would have been against it.  :P

I was wondering that.  I'm not so sure.  There would have been complaints, but not as rabid.  Compare some of the early Bush initiatives.  You didn't see massive protests about Medicare part D and if I recall correctly Democrats genuinely worked with Bush on his tax cut and no child left behind.

It wasn't until about 2005 did people just tired of his fuck ups and dug in their heels with the social security scheme.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2012, 03:03:03 PM
Well, they can't all be the same. What if the next state over comes up with something even better? Without the opportunity to experiment, we'd never know.

Well, the states don't have to worry about today's ruling;  lost in all the fuss over the "mandate" was the shoot down by the SCOTUS of the part of the Act compelling of the states to expand their Medicaid programs.

QuoteIn effect, the Roberts compromise left it up to the states to choose whether to take the added money available to fund the expansion, and thus submit to the fund cut-off condition, or to confine their participation in the Medicaid program to its existing limits within each state.   In the existing program, without the expansion, a state need not open its Medicaid program to all adults under age 65, if their income level is no higher than 133 percent of the federal poverty line, as would be the case is states joining in the expansion.

At this point, it is unclear how many of the projected 9 million poor people that would have been brought into the program will not become eligible, because some states opt to stay with their existing coverage formulas.

So, all those GOP governors can ensure their state citizens don't participate by grabbing all the funds available upfront.  Texans and the rest of the Dumbfuckistanis in the South get what they want:  nothing.

CHOP DONT WANT NO HELP CHOP DONT GET NO HELP

Razgovory

Yes.  My State is that way.  Our Lieutenant Governor still wants to sue over it.  That and Black helicopters that scare away the deer.  Guys fucking nuts.  Think people are tying assassinate him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2012, 04:24:55 PM
apparently, there's a been a war over that issue, some time in the past.

Was there?  When was this? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2012, 04:31:10 PM
Should Texas justice be an inspiration for all States?

There is nothing particularly unique or distinctive about our justice system.

I mean it is highly politicized with elected judges and DAs and the like who love to lock people away for politicial points and it is pretty corrupt (but how could it not be with all the drug money involved?) and all that but those things are not exactly unique or have anything to do with how the system is supposed to work on paper :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:40:31 PM
So you believe that good laws should be restricted by state borders?  That political ideas you hold true and political rights you cherish shouldn't apply anymore 30 miles down the road. You don't believe that people in some states just don't have the right to defend themselves or their homes?  You believe you should have to keep moving around the country as state change laws back and forth? Do you believe that neighboring states should be able enact bad laws that could get you arrested and jailed because you are carrying an innocuous item in your car that violates a law you didn't even know about?
Self-determination is a wonderful thing.  That's the reason that we haven't conquered you and forced you onto socialized medicine, the metric system and hockey as a national sport.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 08:55:35 PM
It wasn't until about 2005 did people just tired of his fuck ups and dug in their heels with the social security scheme.
It would have been really interesting if it had passed though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2012, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:40:31 PM
So you believe that good laws should be restricted by state borders?  That political ideas you hold true and political rights you cherish shouldn't apply anymore 30 miles down the road. You don't believe that people in some states just don't have the right to defend themselves or their homes?  You believe you should have to keep moving around the country as state change laws back and forth? Do you believe that neighboring states should be able enact bad laws that could get you arrested and jailed because you are carrying an innocuous item in your car that violates a law you didn't even know about?
Self-determination is a wonderful thing.  That's the reason that we haven't conquered you and forced you onto socialized medicine, the metric system and hockey as a national sport.
That and Second Amendment, baby. :yeah:

Razgovory

Militias didn't do so well against Canada last time.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2012, 12:51:16 PM
Militias didn't do so well against the British last time.

fyp.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 08:52:30 PM
I'd rather not have Texas Justice in Texas.  I still think they may have executed an innocent man in the arson/murder case.
he's probably not the only one.
Still, that applies.  What if the Federal justice model was based on Texas procedures, where a sleeping lawyer is no ground for a mistrial?  It would be the same justice accross all States, exactly the same laws, the same procedures, one bar exam to serve in California, New York, Texas, everywhere.  Would that be wonderful?

You could also have concealed&carry at Federal level: same gun laws everywhere.

The point being that it's not because it's the same law everywhere that it will be for the better.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

No, if laws I didn't like became federal law, I wouldn't like it, but I would at least have some representation on the issue.  I don't get any form of representation in Texas, yet I'm subject to their laws if I for some reason am forced to travel through it.

derspiess

When are you forced to travel through Texas? :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

More importantly, what laws does he expect to run afoul of in Texas that he wouldn't have to deal with in Missouri?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 08:55:35 PM
You didn't see massive protests about Medicare part D and if I recall correctly Democrats genuinely worked with Bush on his tax cut and no child left behind.

The lousy Medicare "reform" we got and No Child Left Behind are the kind of crap that big-government Democrats tend to like, and why fiscal conservatives didn't care much for Bush.  Heck, Ted Kennedy pretty much wrote No Child Left Behind.