News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare vs Romneycare

Started by viper37, June 28, 2012, 10:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Could you please give me the difference between the Federal health care program and the one Romney passed in Massachussets?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Wondering myself.

a'int been payin much attention to either.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

I have yet to pass anything in Mass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

One is massive destroyer of liberty and an enslaver of the people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

merithyn

Boston.com

QuoteMassachusetts is in a unique position today. In some ways it shares part of the spotlight on the Affordable Care Act. The state's 2006 health care law, signed by Governor Mitt Romney, served as a model for the national law. But, because of that state law and others, a decision to overturn the Affordable Care Act would mean fewer changes for people in Massachusetts than in other states.

The mandate requiring most people in Massachusetts to have health insurance would stand. About 98 percent of people in the state have coverage. The question before the court is, in part, whether the federal government can require people to purchase a product. The ability of states to do so was not in dispute.

State law already protects coverage of people with pre-existing conditions, requires insurers to use a large majority of premium dollars for actual medical expenses and cover some young adults. But many of those state provisions do not apply to people who get their insurance from large employers who are self-insured. The federal law extends such coverage requirements to them, as well.

Aside from the direct impacts on consumers, there are hundreds of millions of dollars in new federal funding at stake for Massachusetts.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 10:53:10 AM
Federal vs. state level.

I'm trying to figure out why that is meaningful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 11:47:49 AM
Federal vs. state level.

Because our government is a federal, not unitary, system.  Not that hard to figure out, really. 

I hate the concept of an insurance mandate, but it doesn't bother nearly as much if some far away leftist state tries it out as it does to have it implemented on the national level.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 11:47:49 AM
Federal vs. state level.

Because our government is a federal, not unitary, system.  Not that hard to figure out, really. 

I hate the concept of an insurance mandate, but it doesn't bother nearly as much if some far away leftist state tries it out as it does to have it implemented on the national level.

So you like laws changing drastically as you move from one district to another?  Are there laws that you support but wouldn't want as a federal laws?  Say gun ownership laws or conceal and carry or whatever?

Admiral Yi

One signficant difference between Romneycare and Obamacare is that AFAIK Romneycare is financed entirely out of revenue.

Darth Wagtaros

Romneycare left us with huge bills.
PDH!