News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

"Obamacare is wrong for Americans. It will destroy our health care system," added Paul, who frequently rails about government overreach on the Senate floor.

Your system needs to be destroyed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2012, 01:52:33 PM
"Obamacare is wrong for Americans. It will destroy our health care system," added Paul, who frequently rails about government overreach on the Senate floor.

Ok, calm down there, oddball.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 01:46:53 PM
I can only speak from state experience but yeah in 2010 they got Joe Miller nominated for Senate over Murkowski, and then lost to her as a write in.
They just took over leadership of the state GOP  and moderate republicans are now worried that Dems will have chance to take both state houses in fall if Tea Party candidates get the GOP nom.

You know Alaska better than I do, and yeah the Murkowski thing backfired (though the "damage" was just that the same moderate Republican got back in-- not the end of the world).  But elsewhere the Tea Party was generally quite successful in 2010. 

Now whether it will have quite as much impact in 2012 (or will even survive after 2012) is up for debate-- I'm just saying you guys would be wise not to discount them just yet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

Oh yeah?  WELL WHY DON'T YOU COME DOWN HERE & DO IT? :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Why didn't Fortress America have a Canadian invasion force? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2012, 01:42:08 PM
Rand Paul: 'Obamacare' is still unconstitutional
Sen. Rand Paul doesn't think the Supreme Court gets the last word on what's constitutional.

The Kentucky Republican belittled the high court's health care decision as the flawed opinion of just a "couple people." 

"Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be 'constitutional' does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional," the freshman lawmaker said in a statement. "While the court may have erroneously come to the conclusion that the law is allowable, it certainly does nothing to make this mandate or government takeover of our health care right."

"Obamacare is wrong for Americans. It will destroy our health care system," added Paul, who frequently rails about government overreach on the Senate floor. "This now means we fight every hour, every day until November to elect a new President and a new Senate to repeal Obamacare."

I wonder if he'll move for a Fetal Personhood vote today.
He and his supporters have been denying the authority of the Supreme Court for a good long while now, why should this change anything?

Detaxers, anti-abortionists, gun nuts and assorted natural persons and fraudsters have been criticizing the court for decades.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I'd watch who buys truck loads of fertilizer and diesel fuel for a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maximus on June 28, 2012, 11:48:47 AM
Obamacare is a stupid term anyway. I cringe every time someone who I think of as intelligent uses it. He didn't invent health care coverage.

To the contrary the essence of ACA was thought up by conservative leaning think tanks and then first implemented in Mass by Romney.
One great success of conservatives in this whole legal challenge was to get the left to rally around a pretty lousy and deficient reform and thus to move the entire debate on health care to the right.  This opinion not only doesn't undo that propaganda victory, it cements it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:24:36 PM

You do that, J. Edgar.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 11:46:12 AM
Like a bad penny, I decided to show up.  My spirits are up.
I missed you! :hug:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Equating Barack Obama with Harry Truman is like equating Rutherford Hayes with Teddy Roosevelt.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on June 28, 2012, 08:21:26 PM
Equating Barack Obama with Harry Truman is like equating Rutherford Hayes with Teddy Roosevelt.
It's equating CNN with the Chicago Tribune, not Truman with Obama.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 07:24:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:24:36 PM

You do that, J. Edgar.

I will never forget Oklahoma City.  I don't trust you bastards.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017