News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on June 28, 2012, 11:46:46 AM

You think the Dems will retake the House? Romney may be the father, but he wants it repealed, right?

It is unpopular, he can't run as endorsing it.

He understands how it holds the bill together, and not enforcing it is a rather radical step.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on June 28, 2012, 11:46:46 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2012, 11:30:43 AM

I don't know the Senate rules, but it can't act unilaterally.

Romney isn't going to refuse to enforce the mandate. He could almost accurately be called the father of the mandate. The Republicans will need to figure out a way to replace him as a candidate, which seems unlikely at this juncture.

You think the Dems will retake the House? Romney may be the father, but he wants it repealed, right?

He's a in a weak position.  In 2008 it was a feather in his cap.  Today an albatross around his neck.  I suspect Obama is going to hit him hard on this during the debates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Fireblade on June 28, 2012, 10:01:17 AM
Freepers greatest hits:

"On the contrary, this has awakened a sleeping giant. Now, anyone who does not get out and vote against Obama is officially an enemy of the United States."

"I won't. I WILL NOT SUCCUMB TO THEIR SLAVERY ANYMORE! If they darken my door they won't leave. My line has been drawn in the sand."

"When some is called a Benedict Arnold he is deemed a traitor. Will being called a John Roberts go to mean the same?"

"It is time for revolution/violent opposition, then gallows."

"Traitor John Roberts needs to have a Garand old time."

I hear Cuba is nice this time of year :)

Got anymore Free Republic quotes?  Maybe they'll shoot up a Holocaust Museum in retaliation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on June 28, 2012, 11:48:47 AM
Obamacare is a stupid term anyway. I cringe every time someone who I think of as intelligent uses it. He didn't invent health care coverage.

Well I guess it would be stupid if you think people mean Obama created health care coverage when they use it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 11:46:12 AM
Like a bad penny, I decided to show up.  My spirits are up.

Yay! :w00t: :hug:

Missed you. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Unions are still being murdered, dude.

derspiess

Hey, Raz woke up!  :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:21:07 AM
This is probably better for Romney then Obama with regards to the election I'd think, the Tea Party will be super pumped to come out and vote, while if they'd won I think a lot would have passed on Romney.

Except that Romney is not a credible voice in opposition to this. His criticisms fall flat because he did the same thing.

Also, why do euros always get the impression you can't get picked up by an ambulance without a credit card in the US? I've seen that nonsense a bunch of times on pdox too. Who spreads this crap?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2012, 11:33:30 AM
I predict the debate will now switch to the trivial size of the penalty for no coverage, and possibly the robbing Medicare providers to pay existing conditions aspect.

That and states deciding to opt out.  From what I heard, the ruling sez states can't be penalized (i.e., their current Medicare funding or whatever can't be cut) for not participating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2012, 12:07:32 PM
Also, why do euros always get the impression you can't get picked up by an ambulance without a credit card in the US? I've seen that nonsense a bunch of times on pdox too. Who spreads this crap?

The same type of moron who says that in the Netherlands, old people have to wear a bracelet that says "Don't Euthanize Me", or they get put down at the hospital.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:21:07 AM
This is probably better for Romney then Obama with regards to the election I'd think, the Tea Party will be super pumped to come out and vote, while if they'd won I think a lot would have passed on Romney.

Except that Romney is not a credible voice in opposition to this. His criticisms fall flat because he did the same thing.

I think the Tea Party has pretty much made its peace with Romney at this point.  He's stated that he will work to repeal Obamacare as soon as he would take office, so he's all they got at the presidential level, unless they want to throw their vote away on Gary Johnson.

DGuller

According to some people's read of the tea leaves, Roberts seemed to have flip-flopped late in the process.  Something about the way the opinions are being written seems to indicate that the law would be struck down.

Admiral Yi

I think that's in the same guide book that says buying a car and selling it back is much better than renting.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2012, 12:01:07 PM

Unions are still being murdered, dude.

True.  There's nothing I can do about it though.  Perhaps the trend will reverse one day.