Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2012, 09:55:06 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2012, 09:44:04 AM
Yes! Victory for America!

:unsure:

Yes, victory for America. We're one step closer to leaving barbarism behind and joining the enlightened European model when it comes to healthcare.

Oh yes. I particularly liked when we ran interview in Britain when we came across individuals suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis but they couldn't go on biologics as their GP has "used up" his budget.  They were told that as soon as someone went off it, then they'd be able to.

And the general lack of knowledge patients seemed to have about medications meaning that they'd be kept on less effective treatments because 1) they didn't know about them and b) their physicians didn't think they were cost effective.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2012, 09:58:07 AM
Yeah, but not everybody gets tax returns.

My understanding on how this will work is that having insurance will be considered a tax break. So, on your tax returns, you'll include whether you have health insurance, and if so, an amount will be taken off your taxable income. If not, it stays on. So, it becomes an aspect of your tax return whether you get a return or not.

If that's not how it's set up, it sure oughta be that way.  <_<

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

stjaba

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:56:50 AM

SCOTUS blog disagrees

QuoteLyle:
The rejection of the Commerce Clause and Nec. and Proper Clause should be understood as a major blow to Congress's authority to pass social welfare laws. Using the tax code -- especially in the current political environment -- to promote social welfare is going to be a very chancy proposition.

Can you think of any other social welfare laws, enacted or proposed, that requires all US citizens to purchase privately provided goods or services? Me neither.

Just because a case is politically important does not necessarily it will be legally important. Bush v. Gore is the most famous example of this. Like Bush v. Gore, this case(at least the commerce clause aspect of it) is fairly unique.

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:56:50 AM
SCOTUS blog disagrees

QuoteLyle:
The rejection of the Commerce Clause and Nec. and Proper Clause should be understood as a major blow to Congress's authority to pass social welfare laws. Using the tax code -- especially in the current political environment -- to promote social welfare is going to be a very chancy proposition.

I'm not convinced.  Social welfare can in general be done through the Spending Clause, rather than Commerce.

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 10:00:27 AM
Tim we all can agree you are a fucking idiot, that isn't the opinion of the blog but one of the bloggers, which by the way others disagree with.
The dissent of the other blogger was not yet written when I posted that.

Don't make me send garbon after you, he'll cut your face.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2012, 10:05:26 AM
Oh yes. I particularly liked when we ran interview in Britain when we came across individuals suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis but they couldn't go on biologics as their GP has "used up" his budget.  They were told that as soon as someone went off it, then they'd be able to.

And the general lack of knowledge patients seemed to have about medications meaning that they'd be kept on less effective treatments because 1) they didn't know about them and b) their physicians didn't think they were cost effective.

Better lesser treatments than none. Better access to a GP at all rather than visits to ERs.

You're viewing this from the perspective of an insured individual who has private insurance. Nothing will change for you in regards to your medical care for some time, if it does at all. However, for the millions of people with no medical coverage whatsoever and no possibility of getting it due to pre-existing conditions, this is an amazing win.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2012, 10:05:26 AM

Heh.  You do not have to look hard to find shitloads of horror stories coming out of our system as well.

But even if this thing goes forward it is not like we are going to get their system and even if we did Britain still has a private sector that will take your insurance.  It is not like you HAVE to use the NHS right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2012, 10:13:15 AM
You're viewing this from the perspective of an insured individual who has private insurance. Nothing will change for you in regards to your medical care for some time, if it does at all.

Oh, so you mean it's not going to get more expensive-- like it already has?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2012, 10:13:15 AM
Better lesser treatments than none. Better access to a GP at all rather than visits to ERs.

You're viewing this from the perspective of an insured individual who has private insurance. Nothing will change for you in regards to your medical care for some time, if it does at all. However, for the millions of people with no medical coverage whatsoever and no possibility of getting it due to pre-existing conditions, this is an amazing win.

Except that you said one step closer which implies that you'd like us to continue morphing into a Euro-style healthcare system.

I completely agree that this is a win for America and a win for all of those without insurance (especially because the mandate was kept intact - would have been terrible if that was the only part thrown out!). That doesn't mean though that I'd like to see the sort of further change you hinted at.

Oh and no, their lesser medications in the cases I was discussing were almost the equivalent of doing nothing. They were in constant pain (though no big surprise there with RA) and their disease was rapidly progressing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 10:20:12 AM

Heh well to be fair it was monstrously expensive, with constantly skyrocketing costs, anyway.  This whole thing strikes me as debating furiously over the arrangement of deck chairs on the titanic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 10:12:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 10:00:27 AM
Tim we all can agree you are a fucking idiot, that isn't the opinion of the blog but one of the bloggers, which by the way others disagree with.
The dissent of the other blogger was not yet written when I posted that.

Don't make me send garbon after you, he'll cut your face.

What incentive do I have to fight your battes? :huh:

Valmy

Is this like a Marbury moment for Roberts?  Did he concede this one case to his opponents to win the legal precedent he needed?  I am just a layman so forgive the perhaps clumsy legal analogy.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 10:20:12 AM

I saw on the news this morning that insurance costs have risen 9% since 2011. Only 1-2% could be blamed on the Healthcare Reform Bill. I work directly with insuring the uninsurable through the Federal Program set up to help them. Their premium costs are significantly more than average; no one is getting a free ride with this program, I assure you. And most importantly, one of the biggest changes will be that it will be federally mandated that at least 70% of all premiums go directly toward healthcare costs. Those are significant changes that will help defray any additional costs to insurance. Yes, costs will go up, but my best guess is that insurance companies will use this as an excuse to raise premiums, but it won't be NECESSARY for them to do so.

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2012, 10:21:39 AM
Except that you said one step closer which implies that you'd like us to continue morphing into a Euro-style healthcare system.

I completely agree that this is a win for America and a win for all of those without insurance (especially because the mandate was kept intact - would have been terrible if that was the only part thrown out!). That doesn't mean though that I'd like to see the sort of further change you hinted at.

Oh and no, their lesser medications in the cases I was discussing were almost the equivalent of doing nothing. They were in constant pain (though no big surprise there with RA) and their disease was rapidly progressing.

Oh, no, I meant that there is still a chance at Congress could find a way to get rid of it. I don't expect much to really change beyond where things are now for quite a long while.