Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Upheld as a tax, not under the commerce clause.

Guller: acting like a whiny bitch for months for no reason.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2012, 09:11:21 AM
CNN says it's overturned, SCOTUSBlog says it's upheld.  Huh?
Probably a Dewey beat Truman kind of thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

It's the old "two-version" trick.  They fired off the wrong headline; it's happened a couple times this year already.  They seriously need to fire whoever's in charge of web content deployment.
Experience bij!

Kleves

5-4 decision with Roberts with the liberals!
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Yeah what is that about?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 28, 2012, 09:13:05 AM

It's the old "two-version" trick.  They fired off the wrong headline; it's happened a couple times this year already.  They seriously need to fire whoever's in charge of web content deployment.

Ah gotcha. Lame!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 09:15:45 AM
Seedys pants are a dairy factory?

Doesn't this go against his narrative of the terribly partisan and corrupt Supreme court?  Can't wait to see his reconciliation of his two positions. :)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

stjaba

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 28, 2012, 09:13:05 AM

Actually, they misread the opinion in a quick read through, at least the TV version of CNN did.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 09:07:31 AM
Berkut's going to explode when he finds out you called him a loyal partisan :o

It's Tamas.   :secret:

Berkut is going to ignore his lame troll, as well he should.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

What I heard yesterday was that Roberts was going to wait & see how the other voting went.  If it was 4-4, he'd vote to strike it down, but if it was 5-3 in favor of the law, he'd side with those in favor so that he could write the majority opinion and 'limit the damage', so to speak.  I didn't think it likely, but it looks like the latter may have actually happened.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

This is probably better for Romney then Obama with regards to the election I'd think, the Tea Party will be super pumped to come out and vote, while if they'd won I think a lot would have passed on Romney.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

What does that mean?

10:20  The court reinforces that individuals can simply refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Nothing:
QuoteTom: Apologies - you can't refuse to pay the tax; typo. The only effect of not complying with the mandate is that you pay the tax.
Let's bomb Russia!