And we're back!

Main Menu

Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Siege

The Supreme Court have backstabbed America.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

:punk: :yeah:  :contract: ^_^

Guller, do you still have my personal info or do you need it again? :)

Brazen

American peeps, under your current health care arrangements, is an ambulance service one of the emergency services you can choose when you call 911, like it is when we dial 999 here? Do you then have to prove you're insured before they pick you up? Do different companies come depending on who you're insured with?

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on June 28, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
American peeps, under your current health care arrangements, is an ambulance service one of the emergency services you can choose when you call 911, like it is when we dial 999 here? Do you then have to prove you're insured before they pick you up? Do different companies come depending on who you're insured with?

If you call 911, depending on what's wrong, an ambulance can and will be sent. It is usually insured, though there may be a deductible if you don't end up staying in the hospital. (Usually $50-$100.) You do NOT have to prove that you have insurance to be picked up, but you WILL be billed if you don't have it. Ambulance services around here are contracted with the city, so it doesn't matter who your insurance is with, you will get picked up by the one with the contract. Your insurance generally doesn't require that you go with a particular service, due to that.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2012, 10:22:16 AM
Heh well to be fair it was monstrously expensive, with constantly skyrocketing costs, anyway.  This whole thing strikes me as debating furiously over the arrangement of deck chairs on the titanic.
Healthcare inflation in the US is a huge problem.  I think I read that you'll soon be spending 20% of GDP on healthcare, 10% of that public money and still won't have universal provision :blink:

QuoteExcept that you said one step closer which implies that you'd like us to continue morphing into a Euro-style healthcare system.
There is no Euro-style system, there are many different systems.  Of all of them the UK one is probably the most idiosyncratic and least exportable.

I've always thought both our countries healthcare debates are hurt by the familiarity for each other.  You say insurance to a Brit and he thinks of America, you say universal healthcare to an American and he thinks of the NHS.  So we're sort of trapped.
Let's bomb Russia!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: merithyn on June 28, 2012, 11:03:09 AM
If you call 911, depending on what's wrong, an ambulance can and will be sent. It is usually insured, though there may be a deductible if you don't end up staying in the hospital. (Usually $50-$100.) You do NOT have to prove that you have insurance to be picked up, but you WILL be billed if you don't have it. Ambulance services around here are contracted with the city, so it doesn't matter who your insurance is with, you will get picked up by the one with the contract. Your insurance generally doesn't require that you go with a particular service, due to that.

Ground-based EMS services in the two metro areas I have lived in (South Florida and DFW) have always been provided by the appropriate fire department.  Air-based EMS for the entire Metroplex is provided a separate non-profit (CareFlite).

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2012, 10:24:41 AM
Is this like a Marbury moment for Roberts?  Did he concede this one case to his opponents to win the legal precedent he needed?  I am just a layman so forgive the perhaps clumsy legal analogy.

Stop being such a pessimist. Maybe this lays some theoretical groundwork to restrict the federal government's ability to deliver welfare checks within 100 feet of a public school or something, but we now are going to have universal healthcare. Republicans won't be able to repeal it--the same process that made it almost impossible to pass makes it almost impossible to repeal. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2012, 11:16:46 AM
Stop being such a pessimist. Maybe this lays some theoretical groundwork to restrict the federal government's ability to deliver welfare checks within 100 feet of a public school or something, but we now are going to have universal healthcare. Republicans won't be able to repeal it--the same process that made it almost impossible to pass makes it almost impossible to repeal.

Senate can repeal it via reconciliation, or Romney can refuse to enforce the mandate's penalties. Boom, done.

Sheilbh

To be even more optimistic it's now clear that the Republicans should have used the White House's desperation for Republican votes to wring some policy concessions for them.  They chose the 'kill the bill' this is 'Obama's Waterloo' approach instead and that's failed. 
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on June 28, 2012, 10:58:52 AM

Volunteer and municipal EMS and Fire Departments are supported by local taxes and public funds.  No proof of insurance necessary.
Emergency care does not require proof of insurance.  Never has.  If you don't have insurance, you get billed.  You don't pay, the rest of us wind up paying it for you in higher premiums.  YOU SEE OBAMA IS ACTUALLY ON TO SOMETHING

Now, if you're being transported by a private provider for other reasons, that falls under your insurance plan.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2012, 10:58:12 AM
:punk: :yeah:  :contract: ^_^

Guller, do you still have my personal info or do you need it again? :)

I need it again.  The balance is now $50, right?

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 11:09:05 AM
Healthcare inflation in the US is a huge problem.  I think I read that you'll soon be spending 20% of GDP on healthcare, 10% of that public money and still won't have universal provision :blink:

I don't understand why there is such an assumption that we spend too much on healthcare. I'd much rather have luxurious healthcare spending than BMWs for everyone. I'd think my doctor should generally be better paid than my lawyer or financial advisor.

That isn't to say the spending shouldn't be effective and the system should be more efficient.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014