Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:21:07 AM
This is probably better for Romney then Obama with regards to the election I'd think, the Tea Party will be super pumped to come out and vote, while if they'd won I think a lot would have passed on Romney.

Ah what a world we live in where the only significant piece of legislation Obama managed to get through Congress being struck down by the Supreme Court, so that he would have none at all, would have been considered a positive for his election prospects.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2012, 09:16:47 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 09:15:45 AM
Seedys pants are a dairy factory?

Doesn't this go against his narrative of the terribly partisan and corrupt Supreme court?  Can't wait to see his reconciliation of his two positions. :)

Obviously Roberts doesn't have the balls just yet to entrench himself in history as El Partisan.

Thomas and Scalia are so going to beat him up in the locker room.

jimmy olsen

Hmm... I wonder how this will effect future cases.

QuoteThe Court holds that the mandate violates the Commerce Clause, but that doesn't matter b/c there are five votes for the mandate to be constitutional under the taxing power.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2012, 09:25:56 AM

Ah what a world we live in where the only significant piece of legislation Obama managed to get through Congress
Dodds-Frank and Stimulus are pretty significant too.  This is the most significant.

Is it just me or does this seem the silliest option of rulings? The Federal government can't make you buy health insurance but they can tax you if you don't :mellow: :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Nailed it.  SC went 5-4 that the mandate wasn't allowed by the Commerce Clause. :yeah: :unsure:

Fireblade

stjaba

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:27:52 AM
Hmm... I wonder how this will effect future cases.

QuoteThe Court holds that the mandate violates the Commerce Clause, but that doesn't matter b/c there are five votes for the mandate to be constitutional under the taxing power.

Probably little impact. In the past 15-20 years, there have been less than a half dozen cases which turned on the Commerce Clause. I haven't read the opinion yet because it's not available, but I imagine the reasoning is based on the fact that the mandate requires individuals to participate in interstate commerce. I can't imagine too many other laws where that wouldnbe that case. That distinction aside, the Commerce Clause has been so broadly interpreted that it is fairly easy for legislation to withstand Commerce Clause challenges.

Edit:

The opinion is at: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

The Brain

Do you become retarded by being on the supreme court or are you put there because you are retarded?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2012, 09:25:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 28, 2012, 09:21:07 AM
This is probably better for Romney then Obama with regards to the election I'd think, the Tea Party will be super pumped to come out and vote, while if they'd won I think a lot would have passed on Romney.

Ah what a world we live in where the only significant piece of legislation Obama managed to get through Congress being struck down by the Supreme Court, so that he would have none at all, would have been considered a positive for his election prospects.

Mittens and the Teabaggers would have more ammo if any of it had been shot down.

Sheilbh

Quote from: stjaba on June 28, 2012, 09:41:38 AM
Probably little impact. In the past 15-20 years, there have been less than a half dozen cases which turned on the Commerce Clause. I haven't read the opinion yet because it's not available, but I imagine the reasoning is based on the fact that the mandate requires individuals to participate in interstate commerce. I can't imagine too many other laws where that wouldnbe that case. That distinction aside, the Commerce Clause has been so broadly interpreted that it is fairly easy for legislation to withstand Commerce Clause challenges.

Individual retirement accounts of some kind?
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Can someone explain Derspicy post to me?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Faeelin

Hey we decided,
Healthcare's crazy,
But you can tax it.
So it stays maybe?

Ders, that doesn't seem to be what happened at all. He could've voted to strike it down in its entirey and that would've been it.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on June 28, 2012, 09:43:34 AM
Can someone explain Derspicy post to me?

Never mind.  I originally saw that the decision was 6-3, and it turned out to be 5-4 after all, with Roberts essentially casting the tiebreaking vote to uphold the law.  The scenario I was talking about did not happen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall