News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buying an Xbox 360: New or used?

Started by stjaba, June 27, 2012, 03:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

I'm looking to buy an Xbox 360. I've noticed that on Craigslist that prices range from $80-200, depending on what accessories are available and the size of the hard drive. I went to a pawn shop(:ph34r:) and negotiated the price down to $120, but decided not to pull the trigger. I also looked on ebay and found bare bone Xbox 360s for less than $100.

Meanwhile, it looks like the bare bones 4GB Xbox goes for $199. I'm inclined to spend less money, but I've noticed from what I've read online that Xbox 360's tend to have a high failure rate, so I'm worried about buying second hand. On the other hand, if I buy on ebay I can purchase an extended warranty for $10 that would cover malfunctions. Given that I can buy on ebay for less than $100, this seems like the best deal.

Anyone have thoughts?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Getting a used 360 is pretty dangerous.  Most are the earlier white models, of which there were three hardware revisions.  Only the Falcon (which I lucked out in getting used) is fairly dependable; I'd avoid the eBay route entirely, since seeing it in person would be a lot more dependable than trusting a seller to tell you which hardware revision it is.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/05/how-to-spot-a-falcon-65nm-360-in-the-wild/
Experience bij!

stjaba

I ended up buying one on craigslist for $90. It looks like it's a falcon model, so I lucked out.

Barrister

I remeember an issue with MS essentially banning XBoxes from their online services if they were involved in using hacked games.  Not accounts - the individual XBoxes.  So be sure to test it before taking possession.

Otherwise good deal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2012, 07:53:50 AM
I remeember an issue with MS essentially banning XBoxes from their online services if they were involved in using hacked games.  Not accounts - the individual XBoxes.  So be sure to test it before taking possession.

Otherwise good deal.

That sounds like something to be wary about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2012, 07:53:50 AM

Otherwise good deal.

Generally, it's the gamertag that gets banned.  The only thing that auto-bans a machine is jtagging, and Falcons are almost impossible to jtag (it only works with early kernels of the Xbox dashboard).
Experience bij!