News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The next chapter in the Rose's War between Konami and Hideo Kojima:

http://www.geek.com/games/hideo-kojima-forbidden-from-attending-the-game-awards-by-konami-1641277/

QuoteHideo Kojima forbidden from attending The Game Awards by Konami

It appears game designer Hideo Kojima and publisher Konami are still on rocky ground after the Metal Gear Solid creator was told he could not attend The Game Awards 2015 in Los Angeles, CA on Thursday night. Hideo Kojima was set to appear at the award show in which Metal Gear Solid V was up for four awards, including Game of the Year, and Kojima Studios was nominated for Developer of the Year.

After actor Kiefer Sutherland took to the stage to accept the award for Best Action/Adventure game on Kojima's behalf , host Geoff Keighley took a moment to address both the crowd and viewers at home, informing them of Kojima's obvious absence. He explained that due to an employment contract with Konami, Kojima was not allowed to attend the show or to accept any awards on behalf of Metal Gear and the studio.

The response from fans at The Game Awards was noticeable: a loud boo ushered up from the audience.

Keighley continued on adding his own his own thoughts on the matter, "He's still under an employment contract and it's disappointing, and it's inconceivable to me that an artist like Hideo would not be allowed to come here and celebrate with his peers and his fellow teammates."

Kojima's relationship with the game studio Konami has been in question since earlier this year when the new Silent Hills game that Kojima was working on with director Guillermo del Toro was suddenly canceled, and the demo that was to precede it was pulled from the PlayStation Store. Then in July, rumors circulated that that Kojima's production studio had "dissolved" and was no longer in operation.

Konami has been trying to combat these rumors each time, going so far as to issue a take down of a YouTube video that tried to explain all the back and forth up until that point. Even American publication The New Yorker started reporting on it all, citing that Hideo Kojima had officially left Konami. Konami responded by saying, oh no, he's just on vacation.

It's been a year long drama as crazy as any Metal Gear story line. One thing is for certain though, the fans are behind Kojima and Kojima himself continues to stay classy and supports his team and Metal Gear, even from the other side of the world.

Konami continues to alienate its former fanbase (I say former, since they move from consoles/PC to mobile, and the most likely way you see new MGS/Silent Hill/Castlevania etc. products is in the shape of Pachinko machines).

It's not so much that they're re-orienting their company to new markets - that's something that corporations do. But Konami seems to deliberately go out of their way to piss off their old fans and shit over a fair number of very valuable IPs.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

I used to be such a serious CM player. But they fragmented the game so much, it seems like now it is just a pure money grab for them, with each "game" having some tiny slice of the war...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 04:09:49 PM
I used to be such a serious CM player. But they fragmented the game so much, it seems like now it is just a pure money grab for them, with each "game" having some tiny slice of the war...

This is very true unfortunately. But I'll still still go to the dealer to get my fix.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

They have a lousy business model.  The guys who run it are control freaks.  They hate hiring additional staff, they don't like selling their products out side their website, they allow much in the way of modding, and they have a habit banning people who disagree with them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

More than half a year between the most recent front page updates on Battlefront.com. :lol:

Yeah, I was really invested in their games for CMx1, especially CMBB, but CMx2 didn't really pull me in, though I have all up to Red Thunder. Selling $10.- patches doesn't help, either (and it's not like they're adding big features in them).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2015, 05:37:13 PM
More than half a year between the most recent front page updates on Battlefront.com. :lol:

Yeah, I was really invested in their games for CMx1, especially CMBB, but CMx2 didn't really pull me in, though I have all up to Red Thunder. Selling $10.- patches doesn't help, either (and it's not like they're adding big features in them).

Wow, excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen that before.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2015, 05:45:55 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2015, 05:37:13 PM

Wow, excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen that before.

Yea, please explain.

Syt

They call it engine upgrade, I call it patch. http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=459&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Oh, and if you want to play with the Commonwealth or Market Garden expansion, the upgrade is required, though to be fair, you can get bundle deals. The full Normandy package is $105.

The real kicker is that if you bought the game at release you had to buy the upgrades, but if you buy the base game now it will be V3.0 already. Nice way to reward the people who bought early or pre-ordered. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Eh, I think that is a little misrepresenting there.

Poor planned for an engine change on there part to be sure.

My problem with them is method which they cover the theaters now. That is a money grabbing plan IMO.

Razgovory

I don't think it was an actual "Engine change".  It's still the same engine.  They modified it.  That's called a patch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I think they're incremental upgrades of the engine, not new engines.

I find their pricing policy nefarious, though.

Game 1 released ($55)
Upgrade 1 released (V2.0) because you have a handful minor features in Game 2 that you pass on to the old game ($10)
Expansion 1 released - it will require the upgrade 1. ($35)
Upgrade 2 released (V3.0) with the handful of new features from new released Game 3 ($10)
Expansion 2 released - will require upgrade 2 ($35)
(I believe that was the release order for Battle for Normandy)
Total: $145

And you get part of that with Fortress Italy, too, because that also needs the upgrade to V3.0

Now, they could have included the upgrades in the expansions. But they didn't.

Fast forward to today - if you see Game 1 for the first time you notice it still costs $55. However, now it already has all the upgrades included. That's $20 you're saving right there. Or you could get the "all in one" package that sells for $105.

And I wouldn't be surprised if/when they release upgrade V4.0 after the Bulge game is out (snow! which is arguably the biggest addition of all the upgrades), and then an expansion that, again, requires you buying the upgrade in order to play it.

No one works for free, but this nickel & diming is annoying. At least with Paradox expansions you get features that more often than not are major gameplay additions to the game.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Finished Far Cry 4. I really like the Far Cry games (except Far Cry 2 which was annoying). Nice sandboxing and well written and acted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I noticed AGEOD released their new Napoleonic game. Supposedly you can play a grand campaign and reorganize your army as you want.

Might get it. Davout gets 5 divisions in his corps. :frog:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive