News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Actually it is. Only Madden gets a full budget.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Says PC games but dammit I'll talk about console games anyway.
I've finally got around to playing "The Last of Us".  I was assured that it wasn't scary and was more post-apocolyptic so I've gave it a go.
I give it big plus points for a interesting setting and a nice story, design, etc... I would like to see a film of this.
The game itself....its level based structure is very visible, I have to think it is intentional that they want the splits to be so visible in this way. Quite nice to have it so neatly split into encounters.
Much of the game plays a bit like Commandos, but 3rd person action based.  The shooting sucks, its way too hard to aim with a control pad, but then I guess that fits in well with a setting where you really shouldn't be looking for a fight.
Problems...it gets very frustrating in places. There was one part in the subway- I knew where some good loot was but I always ended up dying after collecting it. So I kept having to repeat the same loot collection process. Its a bit annoying. The balance of checkpoints is a little bit too spaced out, though not massively so.
A big nit pick I have though....given the game's story/setting....is this stealth based asssaination gameplay really fitting? Many of the enemies are infected. They have a highly infectious zombiesque virus. And your main character is going around without much protection strangling them.
And then when stealth fails and you get into hand to hand....especially with the clickers...so much infected blood and shroom spores must be being released into the air.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So I rolled a new Chaos team in Blood Bowl 2 and played against a new dwarf team. My opponent scored a TD in the first half, but I managed to injure two of his players on his drive, and two more after kick off. He then said there was no point continuing the match, and hoped I enjoy the SPP (player XP). But instead of conceding he disconnected, so I had to sit and wait for 3 minutes till the game timed out and I got the win.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

The internet equivalent of taking his ball and going home.

Syt

Jotun is out on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323580/

QuoteJotun is a hand-drawn action-exploration game set in Norse mythology.

In Jotun, you play Thora, a Viking warrior who died an inglorious death and must prove herself to the Gods to enter Valhalla.

Explore vast regions of Norse Purgatory to find runes to unleash the jotun, giant Norse elementals. Fight them using only your massive two-handed axe, the blessings of the Gods and your skills!

Impress the Gods!

Features
- Experience beautiful hand-drawn animation
- Fight five epic jotuns, giant Norse elementals
- Explore nine vast and mysterious levels filled with Viking mythology
- Learn about Thora's life and death in an overarching story
- Summon powers bestowed upon you by the Viking Gods
- Hear authentic Icelandic voice-overs
- Listen to an amazing original soundtrack, specifically composed for every gameplay moment by Max LL

I've watched previews of this, and it looks absolutely gorgeous.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Just picked up Franchise Hockey Manager 2 from creators of OOTP.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: katmai on September 29, 2015, 10:44:24 PM

I seem to recall their first attempt was not so good. Let us know how this one is. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Alcibiades

Quote from: katmai on September 29, 2015, 10:44:24 PM

Reviews looked decent, how is it?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

Going to try a historical game starting in 1942 with Big six and then jump into a current year mode as well. Will let you guys know by Saturday (as steam has a 25% off till October 5th)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

The different gaming personalities you meet in Blood Bowl are interesting.

Game 1, I foul a grounded opponent and kill him. Me: "Ouch, sorry." He: "No worries, part of the game."

Game 2, I foul a grounded opponent and injure him. Me: "Sorry about that." He: WTF? Why are you fouling! You fucking dickhole!"

To be fair, the first guy was pretty relaxed and good humored, the second guy was whining about every failed roll of his and every successful roll of mine (I did pull some crazy shit like dodging out of enemy control zones, picking up the ball, handing it off, running up the field, passing it to a minotaur who then with two "go for it" steps (extending movement at chance of tripping) made it into the endzone - in one turn without re-roll).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on September 30, 2015, 03:11:24 PM
He: WTF? Why are you fouling! You fucking dickhole!"

...it's Blood Bowl.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Just because the rules allow it you think it's fine to do it? Do you rape and kill the help when you visit Saudi Arabia? :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2015, 03:40:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 30, 2015, 03:11:24 PM
He: WTF? Why are you fouling! You fucking dickhole!"

...it's Blood Bowl.

I told him all's fair in love and Blood Bowl. He was significantly more quiet after that. I don't mind chatting with my opponent, but he was whining/bitching all the time before that about how the RNG sucks and he's never lucky and I had all the good rollls and how life was against him ....

I approach Blood Bowl with a detached attitude. I expect the worst from my rolls and the best from the opponents. I'm happy when a bullshit play works (for me or my opponent), and I take nothing the game or the opponent does personally. The game is designed to be very random. I've pulled off risky moves on first try on one turn only to roll into triple skulls (with re-roll!) on the next, killing my own player. It's just what happens. As the commentary in the first game said: In Blood Bowl there's no winners, only survivors.
—Stephen Jay Gould