News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Alot of people seem to enjoy these odd simulator games.  Maybe it's some kind of inner child that likes to pay with toy cars and trucks, but I've read about a lot of people who were skeptical of these games and once they played them fell in love.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I guess the trick is to have a good simulation that looks good, but keeping it approachable. ETS2 has decent physics (well, not great, but good enough, and differentiating between well between trucks), but the entrance hurdle is pretty low. Here's a truck, drive from A to B. Controls are simplified if you want (I use an X-Box controller) or you can use sim controls with steering wheel, pedals and stick.

It's much easier to pick up than a flight sim, for example.

And yeah, there's some odd niches. OMSI2, for example, faithfully recreates driving a certain bus line in 1980s Berlin (RPS had several rather lovely articles about it).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PRC

Big Darkest Dungeon update came out yesterday.  New classes, lots of tweaks... seems a bit harder too.

Valmy

Not playing again until release day, but the new class does look cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2015, 10:10:01 AM
Now on GOG:

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warhammer 40k: Final Liberation
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate

http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat
http://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000
http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

Man, I don't remember Shadow of the Horned Rat looking that much like crap back 20 years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

I never played Horned Rat, I have the other one though, Dark Omen, it was really good for a while...then it became impossibly hard.
Final Liberation was easy but AMAZINGLY GOOD. Closest we've had to a proper digitised warhammer table top game.
Chaos Gate- meh. Not so good.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Congrats to Syt for figuring out the Flarepath Foxer last week.

Syt

Here's something out of absolutely nowhere, a remake of SSI's Colonial Conquest: http://store.steampowered.com/app/341030/

Played that for hours with friends on C64. Occasionally it would bug out and get stuck in the combat phase.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2015, 03:15:18 PM
Congrats to Syt for figuring out the Flarepath Foxer last week.

Thanks, I sometimes get bored at work.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2015, 11:58:44 AM
Here's something out of absolutely nowhere, a remake of SSI's Colonial Conquest: http://store.steampowered.com/app/341030/

Played that for hours with friends on C64. Occasionally it would bug out and get stuck in the combat phase.

The sense of nostalgia is strong with this one.  This is the first computer game I ever played - hotseat on a friend's C64.  It is what made me want to get a computer for myself.   I saved and saved to buy my own computer except by the time I had enough money to buy one they were no longer selling C64s and colonial conquest was never ported from the C64.

This is probably going push me to make the computer purchase I have been putting off.  :D

crazy canuck

Looking at that link, I also saw that there is a new Hegemony game coming out.  After my August vacation I might just have to ask Viper for some computer buying advice.  :cool:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/308173/?snr=1_5_9__300

Syt

Hey, there's finally! a platformer based on Manos - Hands of Fate:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350780/?snr=1_4_4__122

QuoteHomages to all of your least favourite terrible movies and games!

:huh:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2015, 06:56:50 AM
Alot of people seem to enjoy these odd simulator games.  Maybe it's some kind of inner child that likes to pay with toy cars and trucks, but I've read about a lot of people who were skeptical of these games and once they played them fell in love.

For me an odd simulator game would be being a captain on a submarine or a general.