News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Norgy on March 23, 2015, 06:01:30 PM
A gift, one that I paid for, and you call me ass?

That's like, so classy. So fuck you Francotard.

Yes, we have established you like to use the word fuck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Ed Anger

I don't know now. Tamas is shilling now for it.

MAKE BEET SHINY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2015, 05:29:09 AM
There is a 50% off deal on Qvadriga. Buy it :P

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297760/

The game shows the racers holding the reins in their hands. My understanding is that they wrapped the reins around their waist to better handle the forces during the race (they also carried a dagger to cut themselves loose in case they found themselves off the chariot and dragged by the horses).

0/10. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

To make Tamas feel better, I'm thinking of getting War in the West when I start getting my crop checks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I've blown my monthly budget on OOTP, Valkyrie Chronicles, and QVADRIGA.

In a month or three, when I've finished Pillars of Eternity, I might be able to play any of those. :P

I had a check if OOTP got rid of one of my pet peeves, in that Hungary and Finland share a name database and yup: random Hungarian league, and it's full of Finns. So no Habsburg Empire League anytime soon. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So, watched an Alien Isolation live stream and while I love the look and atmosphere of the game: nope, not gonna play that anytime soon. :lol: :ph34r:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2015, 03:11:04 PM
So, watched an Alien Isolation live stream and while I love the look and atmosphere of the game: nope, not gonna play that anytime soon. :lol: :ph34r:

I can't stand scary movies but scary games are fine.  The problem with that one is that it got frustrating and going into it you already knew what the alien was, and what his deal was which deflects some of the thrills.  Still, I played it through to the end and I don't always do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I have to credit them, though - where most horror games rely on cheap jump scares, this game seems more focused on creating tension and dread through its stealth system. I have to admit, even watching this passively was stressful. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

An interesting decision is in that game is to make it look like the space station is being run on an old Atari 2600.  To save you have to shove a key cartridge into a machine, and the codes look like some of the monsters from space invaders.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Yeah, seen that. Fits nicely with the design of the first movie. I like this (now retro) look.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Out There Omega Edition: you're an astronaut from Earth hurled across the galaxy and trying to find your way home through a procedurally generated galaxy of weird.

Souped up version of an Android game, beta available for 9.99 on Humble Store; will convert into a Steam key on release this Thursday.

It's FTL the text game, basically. You pick a star and head there. Upon arrival there's a chance of a random event, often with multiple choice options. At its core it's a resource management game: you need Iron to repair your hull, you need oxygen, and fuel. You can get oxygen on habitable planets (generally found around yelow stars), iron on same or other rocky planets and fuel on gas giants. Almost every action costs fuel and/or hull/oxygen points, so you constantly have to scavenge, making the game extremely hard.

You also come across artifacts that teach you new tech (chances are you just dumped the vital mineral to build the tech because you needed space for fuel), new ships that you can take over, alien life (though you have to learn the language bit by bit, and the "words" are randomized each time), and other things. There's NO combat as far as I can see.

Still, it's a fun diversion, and in 3 or 4 play throughs I had no random events repeat themselves, so there seems to be a decent number of them. It's extremely easy to get into a situation where you run out of one important resource or other, but let's you still try your luck and hope for a good dice roll to make a last ditch effort, but chances are slim that it works.
—Stephen Jay Gould