News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

TW: Attila is sort of fun. Harder than Rome II, which is good. The Western Roman Empire is as good as gone into various splinters with hordes roaming everywhere by 406. So don't expect much in terms of historical accuracy. Some tribes, like the Geats, for no apparent reason went horde and ended up in Mauretania.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2015, 03:37:32 PM
Polishing the turd time from Tamas.

I've read the previous on the game, and it looks like it's maybe the first Vietnam game to try and properly simulate the conflict, i.e. the uncertainty of where the enemy is, trying to locate the (randomized) Ho Chi Minh trail, and the difficulty of using conventional forces to counter this.

I just like giving Tamas shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

So, Sid Meier's Starships looks like MOO set in Civ:BE universe and is out next month.  :ph34r:

Razgovory

Homeworld is tough.  I have very little idea what I'm doing most of the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2015, 03:37:32 PM
Polishing the turd time from Tamas.

I've read the previous on the game, and it looks like it's maybe the first Vietnam game to try and properly simulate the conflict, i.e. the uncertainty of where the enemy is, trying to locate the (randomized) Ho Chi Minh trail, and the difficulty of using conventional forces to counter this.

Grunt did most of this in 1971.  The VC player could secretly choose which scenario was actually being played (and thus, the victory conditions), and one of the choices had no VC units at all - the US player had to declare the area VC-free by turn X (turn 10 or turn 20, I can't remember) or lose the game.  That was the most interesting game mechanic (because it forced the US player to take risks to force combat if there actually were any VC) I can remember.  The downside was that, unless I played my friend Armen, no VC player had the patience to play a game in which he was just faking it, in order to set up games where he was not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

I've been entertained by "Dead State".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

"There's not much writing and one hour in the lines start repeating themselves." Yup, Languish. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote'Pregnancy' is an interactive short story where the player attempts to influence the decisions of a 14 year old girl about the future of her pregnancy.

Lilla Sandor is the protagonist of 'Pregnancy'. She is a 14 year old girl who lives in Hungary. Lilla gets pregnant after being abused by a criminal and she is confused about what to do with the child she carries in her womb. The player acts as the voice of conscience influencing and guiding the young girl's decisions.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 02, 2015, 01:23:05 AM
Languish the Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEHPH30NVc

That's awesome. 
"If you're poor, stop being poor."  How long have they had an account here?

Norgy

I'd probably buy that.

"Dead State" is apparently still in alpha or beta or ceta or whatever, but it has gotten me hooked. Just like the series "The Walking Dead", it is eerie and keeping people happy is not only hard, but in my experience nigh-on impossible. It's like "Dwarf Fortress" with zombie apocalypse survivors being unhappy about, well, everything. It's hard enough to build a good enough shelter from scavenging parts and it gets harder with some severe morale maluses (is that malii?) when people don't get their deodorant, cigars or coffee beans.
I'd recommend this game for anyone who enjoys turn-based combat and thinks the end of the world as we know it based in Texas seems enjoyable.

Syt

Is that the one that computes stuff for when you're not in game, i.e. you have to play regularly to stay on top of things?
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

No that is State of Decay which isn't turn based.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.