News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have been playing Civil War 2 for the past week or so.  Seems ok, and it models the strengths of the North fairly well.  Tamas will be happy to know the US can still build huge 30k man corps by summer of 1862.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 21, 2015, 11:31:07 AM
I have been playing Civil War 2 for the past week or so.  Seems ok, and it models the strengths of the North fairly well.  Tamas will be happy to know the US can still build huge 30k man corps by summer of 1862.

CSA AI is still too hyper aggressive.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 21, 2015, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 21, 2015, 11:31:07 AM

CSA AI is still too hyper aggressive.

Agree.  They need to tone down the Quantrill's Raiders riding into Iowa and conquering regions shit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

October 1861 and there are rebels outside of Pittsburgh and Columbus. Silly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

A problem I had with that game was the absurd strength of northern morale to stay in the war, or namely the natural regeneration while you hold your capital. Beauregard had occupied New York City, and Confederate Chicago was under occupation by Johnston, but despite completely losing KY and VA with just slender besieged garrisons in MD and MO, northerners were excited to wage their war of conquest.

Occupied cities were something like Cincinatti, Columbus, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Indianapolis- it was absurd. Short of the capital falling or I suppose the 1864 election, it feels like the war cannot end.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

It's the whole eightiesness of it what makes it amusing. I liked it.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2015, 02:37:00 PM
It's the whole eightiesness of it what makes it amusing. I liked it.

But it's not real eightiesness, that's why it's not very good.  It's like someone who saw a parody of 1980's culture and then based their little video off that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

I find it's not really that far off from what the developer scene looked in 80s Germany.

This is Manfred Trenz, creator of Katakis and Turrican at work:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

RPS recommended a game off Shrapnel Games, and it prompted me to check their (quaintly archaic) webpage after a while.

They still have All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy listed, and you can still pre-order it for $49.99.

They were originally looking for a 2000 release, and got beta testers on board in 2001. That puts Empires in Arms, Duke Nuke'Em Forever and World in Flames to shame. Especially since it's building on the existing 101: The Airborne Invasion of Normandy.

QuoteOur plans have always been to release around June of 2000. We are pretty much on track for that timeframe, but I don't want to start making promises until I firm up timing with the distribution network.

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

The original Homeworld was one of my favourite games. So I got the remastered version. Of course, someone fucked up yet again, and I need to leave the country the day it is released. I can't even pre-load it to play in the hotel. :glare:

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2015, 12:56:18 AM
I find it's not really that far off from what the developer scene looked in 80s Germany.

If you want to mock video games in 1989, you show this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBucdfBscI

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2015, 01:32:31 PM
Anyone have a pop at Offworld Trading Company?

I've seen a few videos and it looks pretty decent, though I guess it only really shines in multiplayer (quill18, Arumba, Northernlion, Mathas are doing a couple of games together and they're pretty entertaining).
—Stephen Jay Gould