News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I have no problem asking a developer tough questions, but there no need to be insulting.  You can be confrontational and not be rude.  I'm sure that, "Do you think that you're a pathological liar?" could be phrased a bit differently.  One thing that is clear is that Pete is not a good business manager.  When it was just him and a handful of people he did fine, but as games required more people he was out of his depth.  I feel as if some sort of governing principle of organization can be applied to poor old Peter, but I have no idea what that may be.  Oh well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I think he's kind of like George Lucas. When there's someone to set boundaries (a studio or publisher) he can create amazing stuff. When let loose, we get the blu-ray versions of the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels.

The interview feels a bit like an intervention to me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2015, 02:59:16 AM
I think he's kind of like George Lucas. When there's someone to set boundaries (a studio or publisher) he can create amazing stuff. When let loose, we get the blu-ray versions of the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels.

The interview feels a bit like an intervention to me.

I disagree.  Lucas is a skilled marketer and shrewd businessman.  He gets what he wants, he just makes boring crap.  Molyneux sucks at the business side.  He gets over excited and can't make good judgments on how much time or money a project requires.  This isn't that unusual, the requirements of a producer and a developer require a different skill set and too often those people are at odds with each other because they don't understand what the other one really does.  When they try to do the other guys job they sometimes get lost.  See the Duke Nukem development cycle or the Ion storm fiasco.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

The bit with the sword is me in any game I run out of inventory space.  :blush:

Also: hand-me-downs. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Anyone have a pop at Offworld Trading Company?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

GOG.com stream on Twitch: Quill18 playing EU1 chatting with Johan on the phone. :lol:

*nostalgia*

Also, GOG now has EU1, HoI1, Vic1, Majesty 1&2
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I still have somewhere an unopened box of EU1 that I bought for 99 cents. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I moved to EU1 from the Home of the Underdogs forums. A regular from the forums, known for loving strategy games, had disappeared because he spent all his time with this game, only to come back once in a while to rave about it.

So I got it. A patch broke the game for me. Spent some time emailing prototype patches back and forth with P'dox till they sorted it out. That was before it even was released in North America IIRC.  I got seriously hooked on EU2 at the time. Beta'ed for a while with HoI, CK, Vic etc. (dropped out at EU3) which was fun.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I should have clarified that I did play EU1 (though around the time EU2 was released) - that was just my "extra" copy as it were. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2015, 02:39:25 PM
I moved to EU1 from the Home of the Underdogs forums. A regular from the forums, known for loving strategy games, had disappeared because he spent all his time with this game, only to come back once in a while to rave about it.

So I got it. A patch broke the game for me. Spent some time emailing prototype patches back and forth with P'dox till they sorted it out. That was before it even was released in North America IIRC.  I got seriously hooked on EU2 at the time. Beta'ed for a while with HoI, CK, Vic etc. (dropped out at EU3) which was fun.

I lurked the Underdogs forum and was brought to EU1 because of Hartmann raving about it.

Barrister

I saw EU1 in some store that didn't normally carry that many computer games.  I didn't buy it, but went home and googled it (Hell, this had to be 2000-2001 or so, I may not have even used google at that point), then went back and bought it.  Fun times ensued.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I was still using altavista at that time.

Valmy

I owned the EU board game after I saw it advertised in another AWE game about the Russian Civil War.  I was so excited when I saw there was going to be a computer game about it, since the rules were pretty much an unplayable mess...but you REALLY wanted to play it because the idea was so awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."