News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Well, it was a little unbalanced.  Hypothetical struggle between the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands vs Syria. The only way to make the battles challenging was to outnumber the player 5-1 and give the Syrians the highest training.  I remember some annoying features like Units wouldn't retreat but instead get a question mark over their heads and vanish if they suffered to much morale damage.  Battle for Normandy ironed out a lot of the problems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2014, 08:38:38 PM
Well, it was a little unbalanced.  Hypothetical struggle between the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands vs Syria. The only way to make the battles challenging was to outnumber the player 5-1 and give the Syrians the highest training.  I remember some annoying features like Units wouldn't retreat but instead get a question mark over their heads and vanish if they suffered to much morale damage.  Battle for Normandy ironed out a lot of the problems.

Can understand that. I thought just the setting was a terrible mis-step on their part. CM:BS may be more enjoyable and more balanced, but the backdrop is silly IMO.

I have not looked to see if there is a WP/Nato mod for SF
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on December 02, 2014, 05:04:40 PM

Can understand that. I thought just the setting was a terrible mis-step on their part. CM:BS may be more enjoyable and more balanced, but the backdrop is silly IMO.

There's not much modding that can be done.  Most features in the game are hard coded.  All anyone can do is change textures and sound.  Battlefront is poorly run.  It's like they don't want to succeed. 

I actually had the idea of a Russian/Ukrainian war scenario back in like 2008 (it was to be part of the background of an Alien Invasion scenario), the US doesn't actually get involved with that war though many former Warsaw Pact states send forces to fight the Russians.  Sort of a NATO east comprising Poland, the Baltic states, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 02, 2014, 08:17:59 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 02, 2014, 05:04:40 PM

There's not much modding that can be done.  Most features in the game are hard coded.  All anyone can do is change textures and sound.  Battlefront is poorly run.  It's like they don't want to succeed. 

I actually had the idea of a Russian/Ukrainian war scenario back in like 2008 (it was to be part of the background of an Alien Invasion scenario), the US doesn't actually get involved with that war though many former Warsaw Pact states send forces to fight the Russians.  Sort of a NATO east comprising Poland, the Baltic states, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria.

Agree that their topic choices get's me to shake my head. I will probably get SF et al.  There is a nine file European make over and that's a start.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Another MOO-esque title in development.

http://starsinshadow.com/index.html

I kinda dig the artwork.

Martinus

It seems Witcher 3 has been delayed again. Here is the developer's open letter:

QuoteDear Gamers,

Ever since we started working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we knew it would be an ambitious game. We wanted, and still aim, to give you an incredible experience, an epic adventure in a vast, completely open fantasy universe.

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio's history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks, so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to May 19th, 2015.

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It's a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Thank you for the all support you show us on a daily basis. We truly do appreciate it. It has fueled us in our passion since the start and will continue to do so.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2014, 04:56:45 AM
It seems Witcher 3 has been delayed again. Here is the developer's open letter:

(snip)
Too bad they didn't delay Witcher 2 long enough to realize that the QTEs ruined the game.  Ruined a great series as far as I was concerned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2014, 09:43:28 AM
What's QTE?
Quicktime Events.  Like the one where you have to either press the indicated keyboard buttons fast enough or die in the boxing match.  I quit the game right there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Yeah, I wonder who are the people who like QTEs. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Grey Fox

No one likes QTEs except marketers because they make cinematics seem interactive and they sell interactive products.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

I didn't mind the QTEs for Witcher 2.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

Witcher 2's QTEs were annoying but not game ruining. Its combat system was pretty bizzarely bad though. The original was amazing. The second...meh
██████
██████
██████