News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Dishonored is free to play on Steam this weekend, if you haven't tried it.

My rating: Above awesome.

Syt

Battlefront is now selling the "3.0" upgrade to Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy. $10.00 (or $20.00 if you want to upgrade both games) buys you:

QuoteGraphics
Hit impacts to vehicles and bunkers now shown graphically ("hit decals")
Water animates for fording units
Improved shaders

Gameplay
Ground units are now able to fire at attacking aircraft
Ammo Dumps allow platoons to have reserve ammo stored separately on map (automatically distributed for certain Skill Levels)
WeGo TCP/IP with the ability to save but not the ability to replay combat action
Spotters restricted to directing only one Mission at a time. Assets can now be group fired.
More realistic/varied RoF of automatic weapons.
Improved load time for scenarios, especially larger ones with complex terrain

User Interface
Three different sets of camera controls; Standard (traditional), First Person Shooter, and Real Time Strategy
Optional graphical Command and Control link tracing
KIAs are shown in the Soldier/Crew Panels to track soldiers lost during the game
Option to disable music separate from other game sounds

Editor
Ability to create AI Triggers that execute actions based on other units or interaction with Objectives (existing battles do not have this, but it can be added by authors if they wish)
Maximum map size increased
Improved responsiveness of 2D editing, especially for large maps
Improved load time for 3D Preview, especially large maps
Customized "Mod Tags" for most graphics. This allows for multiple mods for the same item without the need to move items in/out of Data folder
Ability to specify specific mods be used for a specific Scenario. If CM fails to find the specified mod it will use the default

2.0 was also sold separately, but you at least got it included with some of the DLC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2014, 09:16:13 PM
I believe I'm about 85% through Fallout 3 AQFH Part 3. Fucking master piece. A few non game stopping glitches. It outshines any of the stock game quests and DLC's. Even any of the FONV quests.

For lack of better words, IMO, put a new face on Fallout 3. It just reshaped the whole game environment. It is like I'm playing a different game, a different nuance and feel I guess.

Started at 8th level in part 1 and currently near 18th, with a modest mod list. I would agree that this mod is very difficult with FWE. This mod at times will frustrate the living shit outta ya, but the pieces are there just easily overlooked.
A belated "told you so!"  :D

The combat does get out of hand a few times, IMO.  Other than that, though, I agree that it is the best thing in the Fallout 3/NV universe.  I especially loved the music in the second episode.  So haunting.

Its a pity Firelady isn't around to see where this series eventually became.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Nobunaga's Ambition: Souzou is on Steam.  :w00t:

In Traditional Chinese only.  :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2014, 12:40:48 PM

As with all KOEI imports, wait for the PUK to come out. Although I admit Souzou is among the best NA games in recent years.

Josquius

Playing civ 5.
My usual way to play is to be fairly peaceful and concentrate on settlers, wonders and improving tiles... Until someone inevitably attacks me, I can usually just about survive and then counter attack and take them down.
This time i decided to try something different and be a militaristic arsehole from the start.
Just one problem- ouch, the money and happiness penalties.
I'm not sure I can play on with this game. I'm safe but I am heamoraging gold and my happiness is so low I'm even getting armed up risings all the time. Damn.
Civ 5 really does have some bad design choices- the one unit per tile thing is dumb. Roads should also rv handled differently
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2014, 12:40:48 PM

Always wanted to play one of those games but nothing recent seems
To be in English and my Japanese is nowhere near high enough for it
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2014, 07:26:39 PM
Playing civ 5.
My usual way to play is to be fairly peaceful and concentrate on settlers, wonders and improving tiles... Until someone inevitably attacks me, I can usually just about survive and then counter attack and take them down.
This time i decided to try something different and be a militaristic arsehole from the start.
I'm not sure I can play on with this game. I'm safe but I am heamoraging gold and my happiness is so low I'm even getting armed up risings all the time. Damn.
Civ 5 really does have some bad design choices- the one unit per tile thing is dumb. Roads should also rv handled differently

You be wrong. The death of the doom stacks is wonderful.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 27, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
Playing civ 5.

Agreed.  Almost all of the design choice differences from IV were improvements.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 27, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
Playing civ 5.

Doom stacks were a bit much (though better than the old one unit dies, they all die).
But one per tile is too little the other way IMO.  It just seems silly that such a huge land area can only hold one unit.
There should be a happy medium of allowing say one unit per type in a tile.

Roads are my main complaint though.
A good fix IMO would be that roads are built as excellent paved roads and then slowly decay into  the dirt tracks that are the current norm, with accordingly worse travel times. Maintaining them can be a job for workers- gives workers something to do when you don't need them.
At the least maintenance shouldn't be as bad as it is.

I recovered my game anyway. Somehow. Looting enemy provinces kept my economy afloat until I was able to get a few lucky social policies.

The new ideology stuff is interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Civ 5 is excellent - it's the best Civ to date (assuming you play with both expansions).

The idea about micromanaging road maintenace with workers is one of the worst things I have ever heard.

garbon

Yeah I gotta join in saying that system is pretty good as is on the areas you've noted as problematic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2014, 11:31:45 AM
Civ 5 is excellent - it's the best Civ to date (assuming you play with both expansions).

The idea about micromanaging road maintenace with workers is one of the worst things I have ever heard.
Who said anything about micromanaging?
██████
██████
██████