CountDeMoney

11B4V

QuoteHello!

You are receiving this email because you have pre-ordered Combat
Mission: Red Thunder. This is a one-time notification (you are not
subscribed to any mailing lists).

Your Pre-Order Download is now ready!

:showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on April 04, 2014, 03:33:44 PM
QuoteHello!

You are receiving this email because you have pre-ordered Combat
Mission: Red Thunder. This is a one-time notification (you are not
subscribed to any mailing lists).

Your Pre-Order Download is now ready!

:showoff:

I would have pre-ordered, but they didn't have a download only pre-order. I didn't want to pay an extra $27.- for shipping of a disc I'll never use.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

I was going to post some screens of tank riders but couldnt get screen hunter to capture anything.

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on April 05, 2014, 08:16:35 PM
I was going to post some screens of tank riders but couldnt get screen hunter to capture anything.

Can't you use Print Screen and copy to a gfx program?

I may do an AAR today of one of the previous games (Normandy, Market Garden or Italy).

I've had the other titles for a while but haven't played them very much. I'm seriously out of practice as I noticed yesterday.

Fortress Italy, Battle for Borgo Cascino (or something). An under strength U.S. infantry company has to secure a large countryside estate in Sicily. The place is on a hill, surrounded by some trees and orchards, but most of the approach is open field.

I earned a total defeat.

Reasons why I lost:
1. I took too long. I approached carefully across the mostly open fields - however except for a lone, exposed MG there was no opposition. The first German squad sat in one of the estate's buildings and was only visible from like 20 meters away.
2. Not handling my support units properly. I left my 60 mm mortars in the deployment zone, because they could hit the first row of buildings from there. However, they were useless against everything else, and by the time I brought them up with jeeps the time limit was nearly gone. Also, when I sent the jeeps back to retrieve them I realized that there were two more MG units in them. Oops. Also, my FO for the 81 mm mortars spent most of his time trying to get any useful vantage point to direct fire against where the enemy was.
3. Securing all objectives. I had the main estate, but I failed to capture the exit road, and a small copse of trees on the left flank.
4. Securing the flanks. Instead of sending one platoon up the left flank to secure the woods (which had an infantry gun and a squad of Panzergrenadiers), and another to secure the small estate on the right flank (which had another squad), I sent everything up the middle, and I got caught in flanking fire all the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2014, 12:05:59 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 05, 2014, 08:16:35 PM

Can't you use Print Screen and copy to a gfx program?

I may do an AAR today of one of the previous games (Normandy, Market Garden or Italy).

I've had the other titles for a while but haven't played them very much. I'm seriously out of practice as I noticed yesterday.

Fortress Italy, Battle for Borgo Cascino (or something). An under strength U.S. infantry company has to secure a large countryside estate in Sicily. The place is on a hill, surrounded by some trees and orchards, but most of the approach is open field.

I earned a total defeat.

Reasons why I lost:
1. I took too long. I approached carefully across the mostly open fields - however except for a lone, exposed MG there was no opposition. The first German squad sat in one of the estate's buildings and was only visible from like 20 meters away.
2. Not handling my support units properly. I left my 60 mm mortars in the deployment zone, because they could hit the first row of buildings from there. However, they were useless against everything else, and by the time I brought them up with jeeps the time limit was nearly gone. Also, when I sent the jeeps back to retrieve them I realized that there were two more MG units in them. Oops. Also, my FO for the 81 mm mortars spent most of his time trying to get any useful vantage point to direct fire against where the enemy was.
3. Securing all objectives. I had the main estate, but I failed to capture the exit road, and a small copse of trees on the left flank.
4. Securing the flanks. Instead of sending one platoon up the left flank to secure the woods (which had an infantry gun and a squad of Panzergrenadiers), and another to secure the small estate on the right flank (which had another squad), I sent everything up the middle, and I got caught in flanking fire all the time.

I am out of practice too. I also got JT's Panzer Battles and yet to dig into it.

Print screen didnt work either had to go with FRAPPS

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 11:04:12 PM
While I was on Steam to pick up Banished I noticed the developer Longbow has a new Hegemony game out.  This time they have shifted from the Greek world to create Hegemony: Rome.  The game is still in early development but I really like this developer and they way the create strategy games.

I recommend you take a look.

I saw this is getting nearer to finish.  I never played the earlier games, how are they?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

If you liked the Quest for Glory, then you might want to check out "Heroine's Quest". Video Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl8nzzwMDz0

It's available on Steam. For free. Yes, free.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2014, 03:17:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 11:04:12 PM
While I was on Steam to pick up Banished I noticed the developer Longbow has a new Hegemony game out.  This time they have shifted from the Greek world to create Hegemony: Rome.  The game is still in early development but I really like this developer and they way the create strategy games.

I recommend you take a look.

I saw this is getting nearer to finish.  I never played the earlier games, how are they?

Its too bad more people didnt try them.  They are excellent games.  The player has to be smart with resource managment and something that is unique to these games in the rts genre supply and supply chains.  If you keep your armies out in the field without adequate supply they will become less effective and ultimately fade away.   Combat is done very well.  Its not just a question of building the most troops and sending them out.  The player has to think about flanking the opponent and avoiding the AI flanking them. 

I would recommend these games to anyone wanting to play a strategy game set in Ancient Greece.

I havent spent much time with the latest game but what I have seen doesnt disappoint.

mongers

Been playing some Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy