The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2013, 01:08:41 PM
A fan remake of Colonial Conquest...

http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/ColonialConquest/remake.php5

My pants remain dry.

The second computer game I ever played - the first was Empire.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2013, 11:24:06 AM
Tropico 5 announced.

http://www.gamercast.net/tropico-5

QuotePenultimo the great communicator has announced that El Presidente will be returning for a fifth term in Kalypso Media and Haemimont Studios' Tropico 5. You heard that right, and Tropico 5, the next instalment in the critically acclaimed city-builder series will be seeing a release next year on Windows PC, Mac, Linux and Xbox 360!

Watch the Great Dictator himself in this brand new teaser trailer for the game, I do hope you get the pun.

Tropico 5 will come with a variety of new gameplay features, and all new art that has been reworked to provide the game with a distinct historic visual identity so that as you play through the centuries you won't simply be using the same old tired buildings.

The largest of the changes to the game however is dynasties, now they aren't going all Crusader Kings on the series, however the great El Presidente will take control of the infamous island of Tropico during the early colonial times, which can then be guided through the centuries as the world moves forwards.

To ensure that your legacy thrives you'll need to promote members of your extended family to positions of power in order to lay the foundations of your dynasty, after all, surely El Presidente can't survive two World Wars, the Great Depression, and the Cold War to modern times?

Tropico 5 will also include advanced trading mechanics as you amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure routes to neighbouring islands, this is alongside a wealth of new research options, allowing you to advance your nation through the ages. On top of all that Tropico 5 will be the first in the series to feature up to 4 player cooperative and competitive multiplayer on any given island map, which will require a lot more exploring than you are used to.

Tropico 5 is scheduled for a release during 2014 on Windows PC, Mac, Linux and Xbox 360, they certainly seem to be adding a lot to the beloved game, we only hope that they don't overcomplicate it, be sure to check out the official website.

I bought Tropico 4. It wasn't that fun as apart from the campaign missions - sandbox was pretty easy to get a handle on and "win".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I recall very little changed between 1,3 and 4. 4 especially was hardly worthwhile.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Space Hulk is out. I had to buy it.

I got wiped out on the first tutorial mission twice  :lol:second was easier though. The flamethrower is your friend when you want to delay aliens in a tight corridor.

Back to EU4 though!

Ed Anger

Hey, they remade Duck Tales. I remember watching my nephew playing the orginal on my NES.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2013, 04:24:23 PM
Hey, they remade Duck Tales. I remember watching my nephew playing the orginal on my NES.

I loved that game.  :blush:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

The TMNT game on the NES was a total bitch. Made my nephew cry. And I ended up having to try to finish levels.  :glare:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
Let us know if that turns out to be any good.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2013, 05:58:33 PM
The TMNT game on the NES was a total bitch. Made my nephew cry. And I ended up having to try to finish levels.  :glare:

Yeah, that game had insane difficulty.  A lot of the old NES games were like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2013, 10:00:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
Let us know if that turns out to be any good.

I had a go at it last night. From what I understand it's very faithful to the board game. So luck with the dice plays a major role. Unfortunately, my only comparison is Space Crusade (another adaptation) which I played on C64. It's pretty tense, but the graphics are pretty weak for this day and age (a far cry from, say, XCOM). The over shoulder camera for your troopers is a neat feature, though, but it could be larger.

My main gripe at this point is that it would be nice to have an option to speed up the animations, because your hulking troopers in their heavy armor move with all the speed and elegance of an arthritic elephant. Which is a bit of a sticking point when you restart a mission for the fifth time and have to go through the slo-motions of the initial moves of your five guys yet again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

I hated the level where you had to swim in that fucking maze with giant pink electric seaweed that would kill you. I hated it so much.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 16, 2013, 06:02:47 AM

I hated the level where you had to swim in that fucking maze with giant pink electric seaweed that would kill you. I hated it so much,

Yeah, that was fucking impossible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2013, 03:06:25 AM

My main gripe at this point is that it would be nice to have an option to speed up the animations, because your hulking troopers in their heavy armor move with all the speed and elegance of an arthritic elephant. Which is a bit of a sticking point when you restart a mission for the fifth time and have to go through the slo-motions of the initial moves of your five guys yet again.

Yeah, but at least you can issue orders to an other dude while the previous dude is busy trampling around.

Syt

Robert Florence at RPS hates it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/

A lot of the criticism is obviously born out of being very familiar with the board game (and lacking the immediacy/frantic dice rolling of the original - something that translated well into the last Blood Bowl adaptation, though), but the glitches/slow speed at least should be possible to patch up (no animation mode, maybe?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2013, 06:42:56 AM
Robert Florence at RPS hates it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/

A lot of the criticism is obviously born out of being very familiar with the board game (and lacking the immediacy/frantic dice rolling of the original - something that translated well into the last Blood Bowl adaptation, though), but the glitches/slow speed at least should be possible to patch up (no animation mode, maybe?).

This is what happens when Tamas helps fund a game.