News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I made several attempts at it and never really got far into that one. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Has anyone played AJE?  I was interested at first, but then forgot so I guess I wasn't that interested.  I am just barely interested again.

Berkut

I am very intrigued by Birth of Rome. Very. It is pretty cheap too...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2013, 03:55:41 PM
I am very intrigued by Birth of Rome. Very. It is pretty cheap too...

Just decide if you like late republic / various empire civil wars, OR early republic, as AJE and BOR are standalones.

If you like the standard AGEOD system, plus are interested in Roman history, you ought to like it.

Syt

Wizardry Online has been released:

QuoteAbout the Game
Wizardry Online is a free-to-play, fantasy, hardcore MMO that takes elements from the original Wizardry games and re-imagines them as a modern MMO experience.

In Wizardry Online, everything is trying to kill you. Ferocious monsters, deadly traps and other players lie in wait for you to make even the slightest mistake. The difficulty level is insane. The dungeons are brutal. There is no auto-healing. You will earn your levels. And when you die, you die forever.

The only way to survive is to fight. Real-time reactions make the difference between a hit and a miss. If you don't aim your spells properly, they will miss or, worse, hit another player. Skill, timing and team tactics are the only things standing between life and death. In Wizardry Online, you must play your best in every encounter – because you're always just one mistake away from oblivion.

Key Features:
- The Hardest MMO Ever: No auto-regeneration, no auto-leveling, no safe zones. Enemies respawn faster than you can kill them – so keep moving! Are you up for the challenge?

- Classic MMO Mechanics: There are countless dungeons to crawl, puzzles to solve and traps to disarm.

- Total Character Customization: Four character classes, three alignments and five races. Each class can be combined with the others to create hybrid classes. Each of the races has unique advantages, all the way down to different speeds of attacks with different weapon types.

- Permadeath: If you fail to prepare properly, your character may be lost forever upon death.

- Server-Wide PVP: It's kill or be killed in the world of Wizardry Online. Team up early to discourage opportunistic players – or form your own roving gang of murderers and thieves!

- Sophisticated Crime System: When you kill or steal from other players, you become a criminal. Watch out for the guards, or you may end up in prison!

- Bounty Hunters: Only the best players can survive with a price on their heads. Will you live in infamy, hiding in the slums? Or will you bring people like that to justice?

- Free to Play. Your Way: Our philosophy is simple. Free games. No commitment. And if you want to buy, it's on your terms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

At first blush that looks like a game I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

Reading up on it however, it's not quite so bad.

It isn't quite as "hardcore" as it makes it out to be.  When you die, you have a chance at being resurrected.  You can sacrifice some of your items to increase that chance.  If you fail your body turns to ash and is gone.  However your "soul" survives.  You can then create a new character with all of your saved levels (but, no equipment).

You aren't flagged for PVP for your first few levels either, and even then there are guards that protect the towns.

Still not going to play it though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Is anyone buying that Omerta game? Syt? Feedback please :P

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2013, 05:02:27 PM

Heh when Obsidian was asking what game I wanted 'Project:Eternity' to be most like I joked 'Wizardry:Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord' and here my ridiculous statement is a reality.  Does it look like this:

??
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 12:28:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2013, 05:02:27 PM

Heh when Obsidian was asking what game I wanted 'Project:Eternity' to be most like I joked 'Wizardry:Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord' and here my ridiculous statement is a reality.  Does it look like this:

??

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

That doesn't look anything like Wizardry  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Features blurb for Antichamber:

Quote- A deeply psychological experience that will make you question everything you know about how a game works.

- Mind-bending challenges that will subvert your expectations at every twist and turn.

- An enormous, seamless non-Euclidean world to explore.

- Lifelike soundscapes developed by Robin Arnott and an ambient soundtrack composed by Siddhartha Barnhoorn.

- A gun that can create, destroy and manipulate matter, allowing you to discover new ways to overcome your surroundings.
:cthulu:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Actually picked up Antichamber on a whimsy.

Wow. What a mindfuck. But in a good way. I don't want to spoil stuff, but it really is a different kind of puzzler.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould